Photographer sues Getty Images for $1B because they're charging for pix she donated to LoC

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/27/photographer-sues-getty-images.html

6 Likes

Here’s hoping that she wins and copyright law is changed as a result of it!!

Why are you all laughing? It could happen right?

21 Likes

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer company.

10 Likes

Actually it could happen, if the case reaches the Supreme Court.

5 Likes

Gosh, winter looks nice right about now.

9 Likes

Like this’ll stop. Estelle Getty doesn’t care who she hurts!

9 Likes

Oh my universal non-deity, how I hope this ends in the chance to express some thankful schadenfreude…

4 Likes

The photographer will likely win but be awarded a much lower and reasonable amount. Though the $1B lawsuit is probably intended to garner attention and embarrass Getty into a settlement

7 Likes

What do you mean?

This seems like a perfectly reasonable amount to ask for in a copyright lawsuit. Just ask the RIAA/MPAA.

22 Likes

YES. YES. YES.

Fuck Getty, and fuck their lawyers extra hard.

When Getty sued me a few years ago, the copyright lawyer I spoke with said that 90% of his cases deal with Getty or their subsidiaries. “Don’t fight them. They’re basically a legal company that also happens to license photos.”

21 Likes

Guh. Paywall. How is this news if it doesn’t exist anywhere but one place?

4 Likes

I can imagine Doctor Evil right now, pinky firmly in place on the lips saying “One BILLION dollars.”

1 Like

Provided we ever get another Justice on there. Stupid GOP!! This is why we can’t have a nice country!

3 Likes

Here’s a non-paywalled article about this:

11 Likes

8 Likes

yeah! but why stop at a billion? I think a trillion dollars would be more appropriate

1 Like

Came to see this.
Am now happy.

6 Likes

You owe me the expenses of getting all this coffee off my screen.

3 Likes

Sue me.

1 Like

It’s another hungry mouth to feed
At The Getty

4 Likes