Picture books where the girls kick butt

[Read the post]

May I recommend The Paper Bag Princess?

My daughter was born on Trina Schart Hyman’s birthday, (plus the illustrations are amazing) so we got “The Serpent Slayer and Other Stories of Strong Women” May be a little on-the-nose with the title, but it’s pretty great. She’s illustrated a lot of stories with great female heroines. Plus, ya gotta be a tough lady to survive life with that name…

I think my kid is a bit too old for that book now but I do appreciate the previous suggestion of Zita the Space Girl. We need more like that!

no love for Paperbag Princess? jeez.

The Paperbag Princess is full of twenty kinds of awesome.

Where are the books about boys kicking but, hmmmm? It’s a conspiracy, I tell you, to emasculate…

Aw hell, I can’t even keep a straight face today.

I’m astounded that that wasn’t on the list. Such a great book. I bought dozens of copies of the mini version and gave them to everybody.

The Princess in Black, by Shannon Hale. A second one is coming as well.
Not All Princesses Dress in Pink, by Jane Yolen
The Princess Knight, by Cornelia Funke
Cleopatra in Space graphic novel series by Mike Maihack

I will dig up more later. And I agree, the Amazing Grace series and The Paper Bag Princess rule.

I’m sorry; you can no longer use the words “girl” and “butt” in the same sentence, because a random student at Antioch University arbitrarily declared the implied hostility demeaning.

Because pr0n.

So many princesses! Not all little girls want to be princesses, thank you very much.

That’s the point of some of these books. For example, the princess in Beaton’s book aspires to be a warrior who fights in brawls.

This (post-kickstarter) book is awesome -

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.