Plastic bin with ice and a cheap fan for $300

Originally published at: Plastic bin with ice and a cheap fan for $300 | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Delusional? Or culture jammer par excellence?

17 Likes

Las Vegas area code. I gather folks get desperate in that part of the country at times.

Friend of mine in AZ told me once he tried attaching bags of ice to a ceiling fan and it ended poorly. No joke, otherwise one of the smartest guys I know.

6 Likes

I mean it isn’t fake - it works to a degree. Just you can make one yourself for <$50.

10 Likes

I tried a variation of this but with a 5 gallon bucket and a smaller fan, i can say that it worked great for like 5-10 minutes but it quickly will lose its ability to cool a person and it certainly will not have the ability to cool down a warm room.

6 Likes

It’s called a swamp cooler and is not a new design. Usually they utilized a block of ice so it melted more slowly.

7 Likes

Oh, this isn’t a BB Store thread?

91 Likes

Is this still available?

10 Likes

Has it been tested and approved by underwriter’s laboratories?

1 Like

30 Likes

He tried… what, what?

Like, heavy bags of ice swinging from the blades as it spun?

7 Likes

I was hoping it would be a contraption that dropped individual ices onto the blades from above, for maximal distribution of cooling power.

6 Likes

An actual portable AC unit costs that much. There’s a very limited customer base.

5 Likes

I really hope so.

depends on how hot it is in your area i suppose.

OHH Snap

This delusional entrepreneur is selling homemade fake air conditioners for $300…

Now, now… think about all the R&D that must have gone into developing this technology.

1 Like

That is what I got out of our chats we exchanged on the topic, yes.

1 Like

No, BB Store is slightly cheaper. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

still probably works better than this:

15 Likes