Play this video at your next party. Don't ask questions

I tried to use a reproduction of that flesh-fork once. I usually mock archaeologists who assume anything they don’t personally understand must be either “religion” or “for ceremonial use” but in this case I’ll make an exception.

I suspect it had some sort of useless tassels on the rings, to match the annoyingly sleeve- and pot-lip-catching birds, and that somebody waved it around a lot during some kind of ancient pep rally.

Another theory was that the missing parts were way long, to keep the birds well away from clothing and other entanglements.

1 Like

You could always use one of these bad boys to keep things tidy:

1 Like

P.S. This really had me at first, I thought someone had videotaped QVC (or some lower-budget knockoff) way back when, until I noticed the 4-hour running time. (Specifically it looked like they recorded at low speed, or copied the tape, or both. Nice touch!) The detail that “spoiled” it was that the credit card symbols use the modern logos. Visa and MC looked different back then. What might’ve really clenched it is if they’d added Diners Club/Carte Blanche logos, though I gather those cards weren’t really intended for shopping. Or add a fax number, better yet a TELEX address (but then MasterCard might’ve still been Master Charge, perhaps predating the shopping networks).

Pretty much my reaction when I first saw it.

1 Like

Paypal not anachronistic enough to you? That seemed like an easier not-1986 tell than knowing the age of the other logos.

Though, as a design nerd, I sympathize. We can’t not notice this stuff.

3 Likes

Completely missed that!

2 Likes

Yes, laughed when he jumped his own bid with 1:14:10 left. Bet he’s sitting, tweaking for the end of the auction to come.

1 Like

“808 State” referred to the Roland TR-808 drum machine, not Hawaii’s area code.

2 Likes

I’m aware. I just want decent hold music.

3 Likes

Also, I’m too lazy to correct myself there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.