Pleasing video from a timelapse photography class in Moab, Utah

[Permalink]

1 Like

What a great idea for a class! I doubt it’d go over very well here in Portland…

1 Like

I’ve always found timelapse film of the night sky particularly affecting - we really are on a small rotating planet travelling round a star. It makes me wonder if we, as a species will last long enough to make a time lapse of us going round the milky way.

Asteroid or satelite moving south-southwest from the Plieades (center screen) at 1:05.

so many stars

Can anyone comment on what sort of a gizmo provides the slow movement of the camera in some of these shots?

Personally, I use a timer from an old water softener, it does one revolution in 24 hours.
You just have to figure out how to fasten the camera to it.

1 Like

Yes, those types of devices are called motion control rigs.

1 Like

Websearch on “time lapse dolly pan” should find other solutions, some commercial and some homebrew.

2 Likes

I see you, and raise you:

First 4 minutes or so is all shot around Moab over the last couple of years on my personal time-lapse shooting trips.

: )

Shot on a buncha higher end Nikon DSLRs, various Nikon and Zeiss ZF.2 glass, HDR exposures for daytime (multiple exposures of varying durations merged into frame of video), night stuff 30s/ISO3200/f2.8 for the darkest stuff. CamBlock Motion Control System for motion, LOVE that thing!

Nice. Any comments about equipment / frame rates / exposures?

Here’s another nice time lapse movie that is also available in 3D:

what is even more pleasing is to have the soundtrack to the hired hand (further up the page) playing whilst watching this video. mute the video’s native sound, of course.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.