Plug in at an NSA charging station

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/18/plug-in-at-an-nsa-charging-sta.html

6 Likes

Anybody there should have charging cables with the data lines cut anyway.

11 Likes

and likely not be carrying a phone with anything on it they do not want made public.

7 Likes

It’s kind of a filter. Anyone coming up to that career fair booth who uses the charger is someone the NSA doesn’t want (at least not as an employee).

25 Likes

I know a couple guys who go with honey-pot phones.

13 Likes

I carry a USB to micro USB charge-only adapter to prevent data theft. Interestingly, it was given to me by Hikvision.

2 Likes

Tut, tut… people are so suspicious these days.

5 Likes

19 Likes

Who’s paying their electricity bill?

3 Likes

This is the NSA we’re talking about.

They can probably get your keys by analyzing your device’s power consumption.

5 Likes

Does that poster really state, “You know you want to try it!?” Like, gee golly, charging my cell phone-- never tried doing that before!

6 Likes

Where was this? Like Defcon, because I can definitely see people taking the Pepsi challenge with that.

5 Likes

It would be interesting if the thing also acted as a test to see if your “charging only” USB cable was telling the truth or not.

4 Likes

Shmoocon. It’s kind of like Defcon but more hacker oriented and less press friendly. Sort of the indie version of Defcon. Held in DC every year. To get tickets you have to go on their website and click on the link in the approximately 0.25 seconds it takes before they are sold out.

7 Likes

To get tickets you have to go on their website and click on the link in the approximately 0.25 seconds it takes before they are sold out.

If you can’t open the door, the secrets within are not for you. Script, friend, and enter.

10 Likes

Well if you came up with a real time waster like expecting to add an Intelligence Community to your phone that it didn’t have before, you could get an honest opinion in less time. Even a little workshop for affecting clearance level Finnish National etc.

5 Likes

It’s not that bad if your poster…er, talk, was accepted?

2 Likes

They are not looking for cryptographers, they are looking for someone who can prevent their bit barn in Utah from melting down again.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Or maybe they just want everyone to think there’s problems… :thinking:

Maybe that’s just a decoy and the real storage isn’t even in Utah…

2 Likes