Plumbing systems at SF's Millennium Tower show signs of impending doom

when it first opened people chilled on the other side of the street

3 Likes

Have they checked the foundation for suspicious cornerstones?

3 Likes

So people are not buying and selling property, but buying and selling ownership of the shell company that owns the property?

8 Likes

Precisely. Before the sale, the property was owned by Randomname Investments (Cayman Islands) Ltd. After the sale it is still owned by Randomname Investments (Cayman Islands) Ltd.

7 Likes

Did you just compare Tokyo engineering to our current American state of engineering? #GrossSarcasmExtreme

2 Likes

Whilst Fenchurch Restaurant and Darwin Brasserie are heated, the Sky Pod Bar, City Garden and viewing terraces are naturally ventilated. This means the temperature is similar to the outside temperature

During the building’s construction, it was discovered that for a period of up to two hours each day if the sun shines directly onto the building, it acts as a concave mirror and focuses light onto the streets to the south.[28] Spot temperature readings at street-level including up to 91 °C (196 °F)[29] and 117 °C (243 °F) were observed

:fire::hot_face:

12 Likes

3 Likes

Tofu dreg, American style. /s

7 Likes

Used to work near there and walk by the building twice a day, one of the first days it was open, some guy had parked his Jag, and gotten the wing mirror melted… I was amused.

5 Likes

This is going to still be being litigated well into the next generation I suspect.

Going to be case study at both law schools and engineering school for certain.

Anyone know if SF has started to think about revising their building codes to provide requirements for more thorough ground surveys or whatever is needed to prevent this from recurring?

Not to mention other buildings near by ought to be getting nervous as this has got to have some impact on their subsurface foundatuns as well I would think.

I wonder when we can start seeing so much stress on the verticals that it starts shedding windows?

3 Likes

2a. Unless you grew up in my parents house where the downstairs shower was installed by my Uncle who got hot and cold backwards. We always had to tell guests and then listen for the yelp as a lifetime’s experience took over their decision making.

5 Likes

It’ll go down the same way it went up - floor by floor. That’s how they disassembled the damaged Deutschebank building after 9/11. It took about four years, for 39 floors.

5 Likes

So probably 6 years for 58 floors. Which will get rather interesting 3 years in when they spot that the lean is increasing faster than they anticipated… :scream:

2 Likes

I wonder what the break-even point is for throwing money at everyone and doing a controlled implosion? 6 years before you can start construction for that kind of real estate has to hurt.

3 Likes

I can’t remember if a Bajillion is more or less than a Skrillion.

This, of course, means the taxpayers in the city.

Randomname Investments, a subsidary of MinderBinder Investments LLC.

5 Likes

At that scale it isn’t the money, it is the risk of damage to the surrounding area, which raises the risk of those falling and on down the line. The other buildings in that size range that have been successfully imploded are in places like a low density waterfront part of Abu Dhabi , a barrier island in South Padre Texas. The last thing somewhat comparable implosion in a more dense urban neighborhood was the old Hudson building in Detroit, which, while 200 feet shorter still ended up doing serious damage to public transit and minor damage to a bunch of buildings, while also filling something like a 1/3 mile radius of downtown with concrete dust.

6 Likes

To be fair, there were delays. They found human remains mixed in with the ballast gravel on the roof, so they had to stop work and search for more (which they found). Smoking workers set the building on fire, so another delay there. Oh, and they dropped a bunch of debris onto the fire station from 25 floors up, and had to wait until the investigation concluded.

So maybe not that long. But who knows, anymore…

4 Likes

An electrician hipped me to that one.

3 Likes

Yes. Dumb fucks from miles around came to gawk as near as they were allowed, and inhale all kindsa crap.

1 Like

But that’s part of the fun!

1 Like