Plummeting oil prices and 13 years of official looting leave Iraq on the brink

The Turkish Army will remind him if he really forgets.

We’ll see. They seem kind of busy busting activist’s heads in recent years.

The only thing they’re more afraid of than Kurds is Muslim religious radicals getting the populace all fired up.

Really? America has “imperial claims” on Libya? And Syria? Not clear where one could get that unless one uses exclusively Russian news sources.

Libya and Syria were already quite fucked up before we started “participating” at all in their countries. (Albeit, the argument can certainly be made that our true fucking-up, the invasion of Iraq, greatly aided ISIS and thus greatly sped up Syria’s deterioration.)

1 Like

I lived there for five years, and, like anything, it depends on the individual, but in my experience, educated liberals generally think his occupation was the best thing that ever happened to Japan.

2 Likes

Longer than that.

T.E. Lawrence’s Seven Pillars of Wisdom (AKA “the book that Lawrence of Arabia was based on”) is worth a read, BTW.

The crap that has been going on in the Middle East over the last few decades is strikingly similar to the crap from a hundred years ago. The problems over there have a lot to do with being repeatedly used as a battlefield by external imperial powers.

2 Likes

Aims and claims are different things. Yes, our insisting that each and every country play by our rules is indeed an imperial agenda.

Which is why I mentioned French and British involvement, too.

To expand on @anon62122146’s comment really everyone I’ve met in the last 18.5 years in Japan has a favorable view of MacArthur, even the hard right wing guys.

2 Likes

See? That’s a pretty good anecdote.

1 Like

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.