Police want Waze to remove cop-spotting feature

Distracted driving is when other people don’t pay attention.

3 Likes

The app audibly alerts you ahead of time that there’s something ahead, you don’t have to look at the screen.

There is the issue that you need to look at the screen to hit the button to verify that what was reported was there, or to add a new report. That’s a separate problem, though.

2 Likes

If Waze caves, then users will most likely start using a different reporting feature to report police. I recommend Hazard>Shoulder>Animals (pig).

8 Likes

Actually, since this warns you in advance there is less probability that brake-slamming will happen.

4 Likes

Knowing in advance of a vehicle stopped on the shoulder - a police cruiser, for example - gives additional time to move one lane over.

We’ve seen enough reality TV cruiser dash-cam footage of officers being hit by inattentive drivers this shouldn’t even be up for debate.

8 Likes

Which is why @anon81034786’s suggestion is a much needed enhancement - which lane do I choose when there is a hazard ahead?

This seems similar to arrests for flashing headlights to warn other motorists about police ahead. Courts keep calling that protected speech.

8 Likes

If these sheriff departments were smart about this, they’d put Waze on their phones and report there’s a police car on the side of the road where there isn’t one. Not only would it help control traffic, but it would put the cop stalkers on a wild goose trip.

9 Likes

No kidding. Police departments sometimes put a uniformed mannequin in a unit next to the road and tell the news that prevention is more important than writing tickets, so why would this be different?

2 Likes
3 Likes

from what I understand, the Glass project collapsed. So no.

Dick Cheney’s 1% theory just won’t die, despite all the harm it’s caused.

yeah cop killers… right

Clearly because Law enforcement fatalities in the United States rose 24% in 2014,

to 126 federal, state, local, tribal and territorial officers killed in the line of duty,
compared to
102 in 2013.
123 in 2012,
171 in 2011
161 in 2010
125 in 2009
147 in 2008
Waze Ltd. was founded in 2008
191 in 2007
156 in 2006
163 in 2005
165 in 2004
280 in 1974 from http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-fatalities-data/year.html

I love this from the article:
“There are no known connections between any attack on police and Waze,
but law enforcers such as Kopelev are concerned it’s only a matter of
time.”
Sure no evidence for this connection but you know some day there might be if we don’t do something to stop it now.

3 Likes

Well, if I were a cop, I would log on and report false positives all over the place.

2 Likes

That’ll help rebuild the public trust in the police, eh?

2 Likes

because everyone knows…you shoot the sheriff, but you don’t shoot the deputy…oh, no, no…

5 Likes

The Glass project was moved to a different lab. Still alive, I think. Also, a true augmented-reality approach instead of a rather lame display would be a superior alternative.

Thought. Licence plate readers installed in civilian vehicles, possibly as a firmware feature of dashboard cameras. Crowdsourced database of cop car license plates. Realtime-updated map.

Let them taste the flavour a surveillance society has. This power should be for nobody or for everybody.

2 Likes

You’re pretty cavalier about posting numbers, even though they may be the badge numbers of officers in the field.

2 Likes

I’m trying to decide which slogan to go with:

WAZE: Making it easier than ever to commit suicide by police interaction.

or

WAZE: Because there’s never a cop around when you need (to kill) one.