Poll: Book Club Round 2 - The Mutants Decide - VOTE HERE

1 Like

I’m just gonna call this now for the Fall.

1 Like

Whatcha readin’?

I did it!

yay internet! my first ebook.

I found the hook-up. hit me up if you need the hook-up.

4 Likes

Picketty? Awesome. :slight_smile:

I’ve actually got that one already and it’s been sitting on the shelf ever since it arrived, reproachfully catching my eye as I walk by …

I even managed to finish The Quarry, but weeks after the discussion here was all wrapped up. :frowning:

1 Like

But the discussion was the best part of that book.

OK, the discussion was the only part of the book worth the time. :smile:

5 Likes

So what did you think of The Quarry? Don’t be shy…

OK. Piketty is bought.

First Six Chapters by 6 PM today?

3 Likes

FYI there are different editions on there, two of which looked to be identical, one was 35 dollars, the other was 10. Odd.
On a related note: Just picked up the e-book on the Google play store for 10 bucks.

The Portugese edition was about 15 dollars, e-book pricing makes no sense.

We did Friday for the first book; should we try a different day of the week to see if that changes anything?

I also vote for one chapter at a time.

I have no particular preference for a particular day of the week. I’ll follow the crowd.

The Portugese edition was about 15 dollars, e-book pricing makes no sense.

I’m hoping that I can learn enough Portuguese to make my savings worthwhile… How hard could it be?

3 Likes

As a longtime fan of Banks I wanted his last to be one of his best, but it wasn’t by far. He’s done plot-light character driven rambles before, but the characters were more engaging than in The Quarry. The characterisation could have been salvaged by a plot. Or even just one of his trademark plot twists at the end. ‘The Quarry’ was too good a pun to waste on a VHS tape … :-1:

Didn’t like. :frowning:

5 Likes

Yep. Our discussion could have warned you away, but I totally understand not wanting to read it beforehand.

1 Like

I don’t think it matters. I can pretty much guarantee I’ll be reading the chapters on Sunday irrespective of which day the group picks. That’s how I did The Quarry and I would just post in the thread late. Everyone has their notifications on (presumably–seemingly, most did.) I got/gave feedback normally, as far as I could tell.

Just got mah Piketty.

So…I read the introduction yesterday.

Are we going to do a chapter a week? (16 chapters?)

When do we want to discuss the first one?

I’m reading the introduction now (well, not this very instant, but I’ve gotten to Marx, and Kindleypoo sez I have 1 hr 2 mins left in chapter, so I dunno what page I’m on, but apparently it’s a longish introduction). Should that be rolled into Chapter One, or get its own week of discussion?

New TNC coming soon?!?!?

1 Like

Sooooo… what’s going on? When are we to have the intro read?