Polls: Clinton and Sanders tied in Nevada

They had her at a 35-42% lead in Iowa and they came out in a statistical tie. I don’t think these polling models are accounting for the new or re-engaged voters Sanders has inspired. Hillary has politically connected union and minority heads supporting her, the talk that the rank and file of those groups are not falling in line behind them, or that millennials have have passed baby boomers in numbers by 9million since 2008 will skew the polls.

They use different voting methods, if I’m not mistaken.

Most cogent explanation I’ve seen is CCPGrey:

If we want to change the two-party system (which is a thing I would like to do), the first step is going to be correctly identifying the causes of the two-party system.

One of the big causes is that getting 15% of the vote means just as much as getting 49% of the vote - bupkiss.

5 Likes

The last time there was a UK Prime Minister who wasn’t Labour or Conservative was David Lloyd George in 1922, when the Labour party barely existed, then Labour overtook the Liberals and has never relinquished its position as one of the two major parties. Before that the two parties that swapped back and forth were the Conservatives and the Liberals and before that the Tories and the Whigs (really, the same parties with different names).

Yes, there are lots of regional parties that do well (esp. the SNP in Scotland right now), but there’s only three national parties of any significance, and one of those is all-but dead right now (again). (I’m ignoring UKIP, because fuck 'em, and they can’t win shit).

This doesn’t represent the diverse views in the UK. FPTP skews the results horribly. Proportional representation would provide a much broader sweep of parties with seats in Westminster, and we’d have coalition government all the time.

The UK is better than the US in terms of third parties getting representation, but not by nearly enough.

4 Likes

Nader who was frozen out of the debates with >5% of the polls? Wonder why he didn’t show party loyalty.?

(and yes thats a later debate, but Nader voters and Nader weren’t really allowed in the party in the DLC days)

1 Like

You’re also an arguement-o-phile.

4 Likes

And you’re a drive-by one-liner.

8 Likes

and you’re a feminist killjoy

9 Likes

Ach, ya got me!!

11 Likes

it’s among my favorite online ‘pathologies’

You piss off the same people I can’t stand. Go you!

7 Likes

Go you too! :slightly_smiling:

5 Likes

http://www.amazon.com/Society6-Feline-Feminist-Killjoy-Mug/dp/B017YBGMUY/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1455729754&sr=1-2&keywords=killjoy

5 Likes

Behave.

4 Likes

Beehive? Why yes, thank you Dear Beekeeper!

The comments actually were getting a little um, stinging.

8 Likes

Sure, DAD, whatever you say!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.