Pope: God says sex and food are A-OK

There’s a joke about an elderly monk who decides to check his order’s hand-transcribed Bibles against the original source material and ends up tearfully proclaiming “It was supposed to read ‘CELEBRATE’!”

24 Likes

George Costanza would like to know if sex and food and tv is also A-OK.

You do get a few married Catholic priests – converted Anglican vicars and Eastern-rite clergy.

10 Likes

a jug of wine, a loaf of bread - and thou

8 Likes

Golly…I had no idea that I’m a Catholic.

3 Likes

This is interesting historically. For a long, long time the Church maintained that sex was essentially bad but was necessary for marriage and for “be fruitful and multiply.” A lot of the sumptuary laws were designed to restrict what people could eat and when. The Puritans were considered radical because they believed that sex, created by God, was fundamentally good (in marriage between a heterosexual man and woman etc. etc.) For Papa Frank to say “Enjoy eating and sex, God wants you to!” is a significant departure from much of Church history.

9 Likes

For some ancient Egyptian deities it was definitely together:

“he who eats while he also mates”

5 Likes

He remains a fan of Argentine football, so there’s that. Oh, and the story that he got Benedict to watch the World Cup Finals in 2016 2014 with him are true.

8 Likes

Oh sure, the church supports sex, and the church supports food, but fuck just one pear and they treat you like some kind of deviant.

10 Likes

All of a sudden this discussion has gone pear-shaped.

11 Likes

And thou, and thou, and a few of y’all over there. Remember: love is a many-gendered thing.

4 Likes

Only in moderation:

7 Likes

During the history of the church I doubt that any of those in power ever went hungry and the sex is no secret. So now they’re just saying “it was OK all along, see.”

4 Likes

Hmmm… two of the essential things for the continuation of the species are cool with the church.

How do they feel about oxygen and water?

8 Likes

:eggplant:

15 Likes

Catholics were always supposed to eat and procreate; the question was whether they were allowed to enjoy it.

17 Likes

From firsthand knowledge, I can say that being able to cook well makes you sexier.

9 Likes

Cheaters. :wink:

5 Likes

I understand that interesting things can be done with a potato.

9 Likes

giphy-2

8 Likes