Pope: God says sex and food are A-OK

A post was merged into an existing topic: Whole site hard to read with or without ads

I don’t care what this new, easy-going Pope says, this is my body and I will feel shame if I want to.

17 Likes

Umm…giggity?

Yikes! No pictures, please.

Of course, nothing said today is any different than the Theology of the Body delivered by Pope John Paul II starting back in the 60s (which was itself in part an attempt to correct some popular misconceptions).

The only thing that moves slower than the church is the public perception of it.

2 Likes

Too late!! My grizzled visage is already in my profile pic :grimacing:

2 Likes

All fine, but please dear Pope, don’t screw things up like so called “saint” JPII did when in the early 90s he gave a speech in Africa in which he condemned the use of condoms tout court. Doing so in a time and place where HIV was a terrible plague, to me equals to a crime. So before you let people interpret your words out of context as that fucking suddenly is good, you probably should set things right about the use of condoms, unless you want either a new demographic explosion or more deaths linked to HIV and other plagues in poor countries that cannot afford that; probably both of them.
I have reliable account that after that JPII speech many smart missionaries over there refused to comply and kept distributing condoms under the counter, but in other places the Church control was more strict.

And btw, in the middle of a global pandemic whose infections are eased by physical contact, probably you should have waited a while. Just saying.

2 Likes

“Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy”.

5 Likes

But it is never just one pear is it?

Note to self: Send a pear pie to mjlonsda.

2 Likes

All I want is food and creative love!

Figs and Fig leaves

Just for the record, the pope is making shit up on the fly. I know, because I had my weekly Friday Happy Hour with God herself, and she declared in no uncertain terms that she never goes near the entire Vatican power structure. In fact, even Satan won’t touch those ratbastards (according to God, who follows Satan’s private Twitter account).
Who ya gonna trust: some old guy with a funny hat, or me who actually does chat with God?

2 Likes

But “coming in the backdoor”, churchwise, is still no bueno

1 Like

Now that I am old enough to be a historical figure myself, and having been indoctrinated in the Catholic dogma by 12 years of Catholic school with the last 4 taught by Jesuits, the Storm Troopers of the church, I can attest that there was a serious confusion about the role of pleasure in every aspect of life. They were concerned that too much pleasure could indicate that sin was lurking nearby, waiting to ensnare the unwary. Maintaining their role as arbiters of everything human, the RC church worked hard to maintain control over every detail by defining it as either good and holy, or bad and sinful.

This Pope is definitely headed in a different direction. Perhaps he has figured out that the declining numbers of tithers needs tweaking. Or perhaps he is a genuinely good and honest person who is trying to end the tyranny of the Church. Another century or two will tell the tale.

5 Likes

If sex is “Divine”, then mandates preventing priests from marrying and having sex go against their god’s wishes for mankind.

Eventually they are going to just have to admit “Yeah, sorry, a long time ago some of our members made a bunch of silly shit up. You can just forget that stuff.” The problem is, by the time they whittle out the silly shit, there won’t be much left of Catholicism in terms of their authority and their direct influence on the destiny of peoples “souls.”

1 Like

We have to keep in mind that the current Pope is one of those “storm troopers” of the RCC you mention. Having a Jesuit (i.e. an intellectual who’s tasked with balancing dogmatism and faith with critical thinking and acknowledgement of objective reality) in that position is historically very unusual, for reasons that I’m sure are obvious to you. That he was elected Pope instead of another inflexible and power-hungry killjoy Ratzi type told me that the RCC is in crisis mode.

His order aside, my impression is that (taking into account the significant limitations imposed by the position) he has better character and a more open mind than most of his predecessors.

8 Likes

that series of lectures began in 1979 and went on through 1984. it didn’t start in the 60s.

also, most of the “misconceptions” he was trying to “correct” related to liberalizations of belief brought on by vatican ii.

if the public perception of john paul ii’s church was that it was a bit of a prig . . . that doesn’t seem too far off the mark,

5 Likes

Depends on where you put it…

1 Like

I am a bit rusty on my theology, but I believe the church warns that they have a corrosive effect.

2 Likes

Of course eating is only allowed between a married man and woman…

4 Likes