Pope to greedheads: better to be an atheist than the kind of Catholic who screws the poor

Western religion was boiled down to one line thousands of years ago.

Wiki

A Late Period (c. 664 BC – 323 BC) papyrus contains an early negative affirmation of the Golden Rule: “That which you hate to be done to you, do not do to another.”[15]

Once there was a gentile who came before Shammai, and said to him: “Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot. Shammai pushed him aside with the measuring stick he was holding. The same fellow came before Hillel, and Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it.” - Babylonian Talmud, Shabbat 31a

Sadly, in general we Jews are no better at heeding it than anyone else.

10 Likes

He’s not even wrong. If these are the people getting into Heaven, I’d rather go to Hell.

3 Likes

Make that the Barack Obama of Popes and you’d be more correct.

2 Likes

You’re more right than you know. I definitely consider Francis to be the Obama of Popes. People think he’s going to change stuff, but really he just gives off good-guy vibes and puts a nice accessible face on what we already have.

8 Likes

<pedant>
(Yes, this is satire, but that’s not what Immaculate Conception means.)
</pedant>

7 Likes

actually he’s saying a lot of you actually make better christians than some self-professed christians w/r/t love for your fellow man.

2 Likes

Some of the 16C popes might, but Alexander VI would probably have just taken a cut and looked the other way

4 Likes

If I still believed Jesus was divine, this Pope would get me back into the Catholic fold. As it is, I like him and love my adopted Unitarian Universalist faith.

5 Likes

17 Likes

“It is better to be an atheist than religious”. Fixed that for you, Mr Pope. You shouldn’t have given up your day job, mate, I LOVE some of your poetry.

2 Likes

Sorry Mr Pope, you have the believers you deserve. Deal with them now.

Yeaaah, would this be the same Pope that’s sat on the Vatican’s BILLIONS? What happened to “give up your possessions and follow me.”?

This pope’s been trying to do that for the most part.

Or do you not remember how Benedict acted and dressed?

4 Likes

Pretty clear that is not at all what the Pope is saying but, hey, headlines.

The Pope is saying that as a Catholic you are failing your mission to spread the Gospels if you are claiming to be a Catholic and acting like an amoral greedy thug. To someone outside of the Church, looking in at such hypocrisy, why would they think to hear more?

6 Likes

Many wise men through the ages have agreed with you.

3 Likes

I much prefer the Billy Joel cover.

They say there’s a heaven for those who will wait
Some say it’s better but I say it ain’t
I’d rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints
The sinners are much more fun

You know that only the good die young

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.