Pope won't apologize for brutal treatment of Indigenous Canadians

Heck. Might as well go all in.

I hate the whole public apology thing. It does help some, but you know what helps even more? Action to correct your mistakes.

When the Canadian government and the church funds First Peoples cultural centers and provides support (real, monetary support) for the preservation of Native Cultures… then they can apologize.

6 Likes

Definitely. “Ask the next question,” and the general impulse to universalize, seem to be instincts some people have a lot more strongly than others.

. . . It was government policy for Indigenous children to be separated from their families, the without the permission of their parents or tribal elders, and them into what were known as residential schools: . . .

I think you need to fix this part.

What happened and continues to happen to the native populations in N and S America between ~1500 and today, Catholic driven or otherwise, is one of the, if not the, saddest episodes in world history. I try to remind myself of this daily, and read about it often. Personal example: I live near several reservations, and never even (knowingly) met a Native American until I was in my 20’s. How absurd is that?!

1 Like

Fuck the Pope. Fuck the church, too. And while we’re at it, why the fuck can religious schools still get public funding in Canada to this day? Fuck that shit.

I think it’s time for the idea that we should publicly show any respect for any religion to go away.

5 Likes

This was satisfactorily addressed by Pope Benedict in 2009. Why is Trudeau pursuing it with Pope Francis now?

Seeing as he’s been pope a while now, but has yet to evict all the child rapists from the protection of the vatican, he’s been doing a real shit job the whole time.

5 Likes

It works pretty well if you can manage to get into the perspective of the folks on whom you are applying it.
Would I want more powerful people to torture me into adopting their strange religion? Not so much.

But, like any rule, it only works if the people applying it are thoughtful, intelligent, and well intention.

Otherwise, it is a lot of “Well, I would love it if she grabbed my crotch, so…”

1 Like

It doesn’t look to me like the pope said “nope”
It reads more like the Canadian Bishops thought is wasn’t the Pope fault but theirs.
And maybe that he just hasn’t broached the issue yet which needs to be done respectfully.

I appreciate BoingBoing raising these types of issues as news but these articles really do no one any favours. Im sure there is far more to this than a pope hack job!

Every civilized state “forces” the children of it’s inhabitants into schools with a curriculum that’s meant to prepare them for live in the society of that state. There’s nothing evil about that, quite the contrary. Without this education, the children would be lost in a society they don’t understand.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.