Population of England named "longest data series"

Could still be worse if it used some weird Imperial Units like fluid scruples, hundredweights, or cord foots.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I want the government measuring the population by weight.

Oh yes, we now have 500kilotons of population… Now is the time to prepare the megagrinders.

2 Likes

No, if you follow the link it is an interactive javascript plot with automatic tick marks which is why they are a bit wonky. If you zoom in on the left it starts at about 1700.

I was just about to say it looked interesting that the discoveries period (1500-1600) had a growth rate very similar to that of the industrial revolution.

Of course, it isn’t.

Thanks. I wasn’t quite certain that my schooling was not faulty.

Kyoto’s record of first cherry blossoms goes back even further.

Interesting, that bit in the 17th century where the population bounces very slightly up and down across 50+ years. Netting out at pretty much 0% growth across the interval.

Seeing as flat population growth will have to happen soon if we want to save the planet, I am just curious as to what that felt like. Was it a time of harmony? Perhaps towns and villages remained largely demographically balanced and enjoyed the predictability it gave them. Or did they feel a sense despair? Perhaps frustrated that they never really got off the mark in terms of economic growth and expansion?

They certainly did, though the Domesday book counted households rather than people.

Not so great: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Civil_War

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.