Possible PBBB laptop RPG game

Do they not move beyond that five yards? Do they move from their positions at all save for a halberd thrust?

Is there anything odd or unique about the hall? Different colored stones? Glowey thingies? Runes?

What is the distance between their five yards and our huddling in the doorway?

May we have a map of everything visible to us at the moment?

Give me a roll vs Vision (14); no darkness penalty for Thwip.

The guards havenā€™t moved from their initial position. Their halberds have a four-yard reach (the halberds themselves are three yards long, thereā€™s just barely enough room in the tunnel to wield them; a full swing is out of the question).

1 hex = 1 yard. Top of map is west.

@discbot roll 3d6 vs vision of 14.

@William_George the 3d6 dice reads: 14 vs vision of 14. (4,5,5)

Thwip: you realise that, despite their imposing appearance, the guardsā€™ armour is constructed of quite thin metal. It appears to be Light Plate at most.

Aaand, 3 months later, I actually finally got around to it:

4 Likes

BTW, @nimelennar; Iā€™m assuming that Hawk dropped control of the bug swarms prior to casting the Shield spell, to avoid the skill penalty.

A thought has occurred to me.

Why would one of their royal majesties come here to have a poke around? Even if it is a secret military vault with a possible super weapon in it, it seems like something most royalty would leave to their people. Perhaps we should be looking at naming one of the known military heroes from that era instead of someone with a crown.

Or, better yet, the name of one of famous magicians from that era. It might be our fellow who magicked up the sentinels to begin with. Surely heā€™d allow himself a back door.

I am worried that theyā€™re not looking for a name so much as they looking for a voice that has been recorded into whatever they have as memories. So even if ā€œSheik Yerboutiā€ is correct, not sounding like him means it wonā€™t work.

I guess this all depends upon how they were built. They may not even have a password and are built solely to drive snoopers away.

Q1: Is Lord Aronn the only one in the party with knowledge of history?
Q2: Are any of us skilled at mimicking the voice that came out of the sentinels?

1: Jibril would be the party member with the best knowledge of the area, but even that is very vague. Heā€™s not a historian, the last action on this border was hundreds of years ago, and there have been plenty of other wars since then. The crusader-killing action these days is on the opposite side of the country.

2: Not that Iā€™m aware of. Morton couldā€™ve done itā€¦

How to shoot your friends:

Shooting past someone gives you a -4 to hit. If you miss, roll again; on a 9 or less you accidentally hit the non-target.

1 Like

You can cancel that out with manoeuvres that trade off defence for attack bonuses (is that a thing in Gurps?), telegraphic attacks, evaluating/aiming and the like, right?

I also thought we were on a slope when I originally wrote it; didnā€™t edit it out in the end because I thought it may still be worth the risk if Thwip is confident enough in his sharpshooting.

@Mitchell

You can block the halberds with your cloak, but if you only make the defence roll by 2 or less it means that theyā€™ve caught it square and will punch straight through (the cloak has DR 2).

Making the role by 3 or better means you deflected it safely.

Parrying is out of the question.

How many dodges do you get?

Aiming would help, yes. :slight_smile:

One per attack; no limit on Dodges. Only one retreat, though.

BTW: if this goes fighty, Iā€™m planning on running it similarly to before; Iā€™ll keep asking for responses from you lot until everyone is commits to the fight and gives me an idea of their tactics, then Iā€™ll run the rest of the fight myself.

One consequence of this is that your PCs may get chopped up while under GM control. I donā€™t see a way around that without making fights totally non-threatening.

eh, thatā€™s the nature of the game. Although if a PC bites the dust, an offer for the player to narrate their demise may be appreciated.

With a retreat, would it count against both attacks if theyā€™re at the same distance, and roughly the same time like they were with Hawk? And can you ā€œretreatā€ forward/past an attacker?

A retreat applies against one attacker only, although if multiple attacks come from a single opponent itā€™ll work on all of 'em.

A normal retreat, away from the attack, gives +1 to Blocks and normal Parries, +3 to Dodges and fencing Parries. A sidestep retreat reduces that by one; no bonus to Block and normal Parries, +2 for Dodges and fencing Parries.

A slip (ā€œretreatingā€ towards the opponent) reduces the bonus by two, so -1/+1.

To actually get past someone, you just move through them and roll to Evade as you do so (assuming that theyā€™re trying to stop you).

To Evade:

The corridor is three yards wide, though; you may be able to get past them without moving through their hexes.

Do I?

Sounds good.