Possible PBBB laptop RPG game

Spending fatigue for extra effort is a very optional rule that I haven’t been using for simplicity’s sake. I did base Nic’s choice of all-out defence on your statement, though.

I’m happy to use the extra effort rules in future if you want, but it does mean that I’d need to start enforcing things like FP costs for travel and combat.

No skin of my nose if it keeps things simple your end.

I didn’t realise it was an optional rule from the cheat sheets I’d looked at online, so I was surprised when it didn’t figure in your break down and thought I’d made a communications fumble.

So, on de Courcy’s shopping list if you ever get back to town:

• A better sword.
  • Lightweight torso armour.
  • A hands-free light source.

(I was going to add “something to deal with heavily-armoured foes”, but normally Nic can disarm them. High-skill high-armour is really a job for the mages and archers)

The first two were definitely already on the wish-list, priority on the armour

Keep in mind that you want Nic to stay at “no encumbrance”; fencers get big skill penalties if they’re weighed down.

For a few hundred dollars, you can get armour magically lightened by 25%.

Some sort of brigandine would probably suit Nic’s aesthetic, although you could go for mail under a shirt.

What happens for Nic at light encumbrance, apart from dodge going down one and move dropping two?

It’s also possible to get armour DR magically boosted by one fairly cheaply.

Nic’s at risk of catching fire, BTW.

The Light and Continual Light spells are on Hawk’s to-do list.

In the meantime:

Pull everyone away from the fire.

Do we have any other lanterns or torches that we can light? If so, get more light going.

And then Hawk is going to make a run for it to see what is written in the alcove. Unarmed, for any extra speed that grants and because that might cause armour-guy to ignore him. But only if we can find more light, because there isn’t much point otherwise.

All of your light is on the ground near the guard; Jibril’s torch is still in position to illuminate the alcove.

Is Jibril still out cold?

Yup. And just got tossed by a dwarf. :wink:

1 Like

All-out defense, obviously.

So:

I think where we’re at is that Ranar and Hawk are going to quickly drag Nic back through the doorway, then Ranar will step forwards to block the door while Hawk makes a run for the alcove. If attacked, Hawk will try to yield in Arabic.

Yes?

Hawk, if you try to yield or whatever, what exact words are you using?

All-out defence limits you to half move (enhanced dodge, which is what Hawk would be using) or one hex per turn (any other type of all-out defence).

Better defence, but exposed for twice as long; it’s a wary evasive scamper instead of a flat-out sprint.

Everyone except for Ranar is unconscious but apparently uninjured.

Ranar, OTOH, has genuinely had the shit beaten out of him. Cracked collarbone, chipped shoulder and epic bruising visible around the edges of the armour.

@Daaksyde, Ranar’s at 5HP. Another couple of points and he’ll go to half move/dodge, but he’ll probably keep fighting until he’s well into the negative HP range unless you get unlucky on a consciousness roll.

If I can get my defense up to about 18 (and I probably can, if I put enough into the defense spell), it really doesn’t matter how long I’m exposed.

Take as much from FP as you can without causing further penalties, and the rest from the power stone.

First, “I yield!” If the thing continues to attack, attempt to dodge and, “Stop attacking, I have yielded!”

Burning the powerstone dry and running Hawk to 4FP gets you +3 DB. Your basic Dodge is 9, raised to 12 by the spell, raised to 14 by all-out defence, raised to 17 if you add a retreat.