Possible sign of life on Venus

Tarkovsky’s Solaris and (especially) Stalker are excellent. (Not for impatient, eye-candy addict, viewers, though; very cerebral.)

7 Likes

I’m afraid we are going to be disappointed yet again…

9 Likes

I liked them both. Very different kind of films.

I remember reading a book on SF films as a kid which stated there was nothing decent from the USSR from Aelita (1923) to Solaris (1972). But the truth is, there were a bunch of very watchable ones of the 50’s and 60’s. Two other recommendations:

The Amphibian Man
The Silent Star (Dubbed as The First Spaceship to Venus)

7 Likes

Minor nitpick: Der schweigende Stern is a GDR/PPR co-production.

4 Likes

tbf, I’ve seen the UK press do that very same thing to European universities if they had a cooperative project with UK ones.

True, the current example is what everyone else is calling the “Astrazeneca vaccine”, the UK press tends to call “a vaccine being developed at the University of Oxford”.

Oh, and that Sky at Night special was every bit as good as I’d hoped. Scientists being super enthusiastic and geeky :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good point.

Then as an alternate and actual Soviet film, “A Dream Come True”

2 Likes

Wouldn’t Life On Venus make a good title for a TV show about a cop in a coma going back to the 60s?

3 Likes

Shocking Blue’s Venus was recorded in 1979.
It could be a female cop in a coma going back in the 70s.

1 Like

Quibble: Life on Venus implies “on the surface”. I visualize growths or critters down in that hellstorm of incendiary acid. Do we say that stratospheric Terrestrial clouds are “on Earth”?

1 Like

Yes…? https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q="clouds+on+earth"

1 Like

I see plenty of clouds on Earth. They’re called fog.

But somehow released in 1969. The Dutch are sneaky that way.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.