Post office evacuated and workers treated for durian exposure

I wonder how it would be at clearing a crowd compared to pepper spray?

1 Like

Except with Surstromming jack up the fermented part up to 11. Garum is akin to fish sauce but i’ve heard that surstromming is insanely pungent that it has landed people in trouble for opening it indoors.

4 Likes

I’ve often bigtime stunk up the house when working with squid (paellas; black rice; Italian seafood sauce). Starting from raw and first hitting it with heat… even I get queasy. Keep cooking it and it turns mild. :yum: :squid:

1 Like

I haven’t attempted to cook fresh fish myself though my mom has quite a few times and i enjoy the smell, then again i grew up by the coast so fishy smells don’t really phase me. I rather enjoy it to be honest, even the rotting smell of washed up seaweed at the beach is something that strikes up nostalgia for me.

2 Likes

True. Jackfruit smells amazing imo. I thought it smelled kind of like strawberry cupcakes.

5 Likes

I hear (smell) that!

2 Likes

Huh. Ok, cool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s funny that no one has trademarked the name.

“Try DURIAN brand linoleum. You’ll be so amazed that your countertops are DURIAN that you’ll take it for granite.”

"Do you suffer from Dysphoric Social Attention Consumption Deficit Anxiety Disorder? Ask your doctor for DURIAN (avafynetyme HCL). You’ll experience a return to former self-esteem levels in no time. With Durian, you can truly “Have It All”.

(Note: DURIAN is not for you if you have abruptly stopped using alcohol or sedatives. Side effects may include extraordinary thinking, impulsivity induced consumption, excessive salivation, inter-species communication, taste perversion, terminal smile, and oral inflammation.)"

3 Likes

I like durian but I LOVE mangosteen… I don’t know if I could ruin my mangosteen experience that way.

Darn… I miss eating mangosteen.

5 Likes

Garum was somewhere between anchovy paste and Asian fish sauces (but with added herbs). Surströmming is… something altogether different. The taste reminded me of onion, when it turns soft and brown and rotten. (Which makes it not completely dissimilar to durian, which reminds me of asafoetida. Maybe someone needs to come up with a dish that combines surströmming and durian…)

1 Like

Just ordered some of this online 2 weeks ago. Looking forward to trying it.

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to try it for quite some time myself, apparently a safe way to open the can (if you don’t want to open it outside) is to do so with the can submerged in water.

Close … it’s Corian.

1 Like

In the early 00s I was travelling in SE Asia with my then-girlfriend. Our hotel in Singapore had a big sign up stating that durians were banned in the building. Of course, humans being humans, having been told she couldn’t have any durian, when we saw a bubble tea stand selling a durian flavour my gf just had to try it.

Her facial expression upon smelling her purchase was pure Job.

3 Likes

I’ve seen videos of it done like that, yeah. Should be interesting.

1 Like

I worked in Singapore for four years - and that was my take too. If you can pinch your nose and not smell it, it tastes like a light, creamy custard. The employees of my main vendor thought it was the height of hilarity to bring it to unsuspecting Westerners and watch the reaction!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Same here. I absolutely LOVE mangosteen.

1 Like

Back 4 or 5 years ago I saw a really well done spoof commercial for a Durian Perfume.

Beautiful couple in the jungle [Voice over: When your passion ignites… Durian!]
Woman bathing in water fall. [VO: When you spirit must be free… Durian!]
Etc.

Anyone that didn’t know about the fruit would just think it was yet another perfume ad.

2 Likes

Same thing happened at my work. Someone’s friend brought them a pastry apparently filled with durian, and suddenly the building was being evacuated because someone was sure there was an electrical fire somewhere.

4 Likes