Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

He’s not even armed!

Unless he’s hiding the knife under his wing.

12 Likes

I know you’re working very hard, but I don’t think the queen is going to be impressed.

10 Likes

Early peacock butterfly enjoying the crocus.

18 Likes

As I sat under his tree he kept making a strange hollow gong-like sound: like a talking drum or ximbomba.

12 Likes
5 Likes

https://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/education/nasongkey.pl

This guide will help you identify songs and sounds of North American birds. As you step through the guide, you will be asked whether the sound was simple or complex, musical or harsh, etc, a set of choices of sound attributes.

https://birdnet.cornell.edu/

Learn how to identify birds by sound with the Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s free BirdNET mobile app and website. Advances in machine learning are making it easier to identify birds by their sounds.

7 Likes

The Merlin app (free) connects to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and works very well in the field to help you determine what bird you are seeing in the moment, and recording the species and location for your lifetime list.

Edited to add: there’s a Brazil pack!

14 Likes

whoa… Babbel for birdsong.
glad I picked up the lifetime subscription frome BoingBoing Store ($299 value!), but I haven’t finished my Cantonese lessons yet.

9 Likes

Thank you. It is very good and easy to use.

6 Likes

The roadrunner is nesting in a tree right in front of my parents’ house.

Why have a long commute to your mealworms?

16 Likes

That’s awesome!! I keep wanting a bird to love me.

4 Likes

Bird love is profoundly, fundamentally and deeply transactional.

6 Likes

fryparrotshag

6 Likes

Meep meep!
This brought such a smile! I didn’t even know road runners nested in trees. I think I always pictured them in some kind of truck stop scenario. :joy:

9 Likes

Our dog’s favorite playmate is the robotic vacuum cleaner. Sometimes she’ll paw at it and whine until we turn it on.

The funny part is that she doesn’t understand why the bathroom scale is so lazy by comparison, just sitting there motionless no matter what she does.

19 Likes

The Harris’s hawk is notable for its behavior of hunting cooperatively in packs consisting of tolerant groups, while other raptors often hunt alone. Harris hawks’ social nature has been attributed to their intelligence, which makes them easy to train and have made them a popular bird for use in falconry.[4]

One of the primary arguments against dinosaurs hunting in packs had been the absence of such behavior in predatory birds. Cooperative hunting between pairs is not uncommon, and while pack hunting in Harris’s hawks seems confined to the harsher conditions of the desert Southwest, their team hunting behavior is nonetheless quite sophisticated.

Original:

15 Likes

Laden

Mesquite “flowers”

Overwhelming the best nectar producers in the desert, desert honey is invariably mesquite flavored.

18 Likes

Walking the dog today and came across some folks disassembling a fin whale that apparently washed up here last night. I guess they didn’t have dynamite handy.

19 Likes

Life is a perpetual disappointment. Also, RIP Ray Bandar.

4 Likes

My former office-mate used to be one of the people who helped Bandar collect specimens and actually produced a whole documentary about him.

6 Likes