Post your Pet or animal Pics (Part 1)

I’ve read somewhere a suggestion that it is linked to melanin production and the way melanin is used by the nervous system to support the senses.

2 Likes

I had no idea. I thought melanin was merely a humble pigment. Never knew it was used in the nervous system.

pretty neat

5 Likes

Busy bee

13 Likes

Apologies for the focus, but I woke up to see a snail flying across the sky crawling up the outside of the window and this is the best I could do with low light and an ipad.

It was crawling skyward really fast, for a snail. Plus this is a 2nd floor window. Why was it trying to get to the roof?

21 Likes

I for one welcome our new giant flying snail overlords.

11 Likes

24 Likes

That is fucking beautiful!

10 Likes

it’s so perfect.
btw @wisconsinplatt: fuckin’ saved.

7 Likes

Boys being boys.
20 Likes

Priceless :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve read about the hobo code, where there is a mark for “this house will give you food”. Apparently, there is a kitty code, where my house is marked as “this person will give food to any kitty who will meow and let her pet their head.” I’ve seen this guy, but he’s never come close before.

I give names to cats, even if I’m only meeting them once, so this guy’s Marmalade. He’s neutered but his ear is notched, so he’s probably a stray. And, he did, indeed, let me pet his head.

20 Likes

I hope this isn’t offensive. It looks so much like her.

15 Likes

Naptime: Nori

Naptime…

…Smaug

17 Likes

Bellyrubznowplz…

…thxzzzzzzzzzz

14 Likes

Long Cat

(Phone flash too slow to catch the full stretch, alas.)

13 Likes

Peacockery:

How many can you count? Includes a couple of albino/leucistic birds.

Albino rhea:

Beginning to wonder if the Tucson Zoo is a safe place to take my kid…

11 Likes

The Cedar Waxwings have been migrating through Austin lately. They’re lovely little birds. They were perched high in a neighbor’s tree yesterday and I managed to a get few photos.

Today I was out playing Pokemon and they were all over a small Hawthorn tree nice and low munching away at berries in good light, but I didn’t bring the camera, alas. Also saw a few hundred bats by the lake… Need to remember to lug the camera around.

15 Likes

Just wondering what’s out there… . . .

; Where’s Animal Planet ??

& YAWN; I’m bored ! !

10 Likes

9 Likes

This is Stanford. We’ve seen him outside for about a week, and thought he was a feral kitten. During the week we started leaving food & water out for him, and on Saturday we went out with food and a plan to trap him, so we could evaluate whether he could be adopted, or if he just needed to be spayed/neutered & released.

We brought him some food, and instead of running away, he cuddled up to our legs and did lots of meowing. He also went at the food and water with a lot of enthusiasm. He wasn’t even bothered when we lifted him into the carrier.

So, the vet had an appointment an hour after that, and she says he’s not a kitten - he’s a super tiny grizzled old man cat. He’s missing most of his teeth, and he’s so underweight that when he lies on his front, his spine sticks up so high it looks like he has a mohawk. The vet also said he was severely dehydrated & constipated, so we’ve been trying to manage the dehydration while we wait for the results of his bloodwork.

In the photo here, he’s hanging out on my lap after getting 60ml of subcutaneous saline. The mesh tent you see behind is where he’s living for now. The poor little guy is just skin and bones and purrs. All he wants is to sit on your lap and get petted - seriously, even while he’s getting his saline injected, he doesn’t want to run away or make a fuss. He just shifts to get more comfortable and moves his paw to set it on your hand. I’m so taken with this little guy. He’s looking a lot perkier since he’s been getting the fluids, but he still hasn’t had a bowel movement. I’m trying not to get too attached yet, because we don’t have the results back from the vet, and it’s unclear if he’s going to get better or if this is palliative care.

26 Likes