Poster ads for Adidas sports bras banned in the UK for showing breasts

Originally published at: Poster ads for Adidas sports bras banned in the UK for showing breasts | Boing Boing

8 Likes

19 Likes

Wait until you see the ad for their new line of jockstraps.

34 Likes

Despicable Me Reaction GIF

21 Likes

Bizarre social constraint (#153) men go topless, show their nipples, often as much breast tissue as an average woman’s, and yet… Nah, should be both copacetic or neither. (nuff of a prig m’self that i’d opt for neither) Otherwise gimme some of that old time religion…

16 Likes

I do hope that they have added additional padding, comfort is everything these days.

6 Likes

That’s OK, The Sun can always print it on page three.

13 Likes

On facing pages (to the censored advertisement)…

5 Likes

Free the nipple?

3 Likes

I’ll bet Adidas knew it’d be banned and are now delighted with the cheap publicity.

21 Likes

Although my experience is and always will be one degree from actual ownership, IMHO Adidas has actually reduced a series of women to a single part of their body that displays an incredible amount of variation, and hopefully as a garment actually addresses the severe shortcomings of many pieces of clothing which seem to be primarily form driven not functional (or comfortable or useful).

6 Likes

Meh. Much ado about nothing. The BoingBoing article is pretty vague. Where was the ad banned specifically? Billboards? magazines? There are a lot of places you can’t show breasts. Instagram, Facebook, a lot of publications have their own policies. I’m not suggesting that women’s and men’s chests shouldn’t be able to be displayed equally. This seems like an intentional marketing strategy for free advertising. and OMG, it worked!

2 Likes

Oh come on, that would be a really dick move.

7 Likes

With proper fitting, just the opposite!

7 Likes

The BBC reports that the first sportsbra was made from two jockstraps.

6 Likes

Definitely ballsy.

7 Likes

This is the country where one of the most popular news tabloids had topless models just after the cover page, right?

13 Likes

Headline says (my bold):

Poster ads for Adidas sports bras banned

Here’s a bit more

And the ruling:
https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/adidas-uk-ltd-g22-1145614-adidas-uk-ltd.html

7 Likes

“The Breasts can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.” – Obi-wan Kenbooby

4 Likes

There’s nothing particularly titillating about that ad.

4 Likes