Pot legalization not associated with increases in teen use

Weed is so much different than alcohol… strong weed in edibles and joints has had me hallucinating and taken a couple of days to come down from. A binging blinder on drink seems a lot easier to negatiate.

Love pot and I know how to handle it now, but I’m wondering how it is considered so safe… cocaine seems so much more friendly and anti psychotic, unless you have a lot of money.

1 Like

How long before we start seeing “Gen-Z is killing the marijuana industry!” scare articles in the NYT?

1 Like

Whoa, I guess you’ve never been to a party where many of the guests were on coke; it gives a false burst of energy, but it also makes most users too obnoxious to tolerate…

5 Likes

All drugs differently affect different people.

I had a friend who’d just fall asleep every time he smoked pot. Another would have a solid 20min giggling fit when she smoked it, then fall asleep and had to be carried to bed.

As for myself, I am among the like 3 in 100,000 who have outrageously vivid dreams when ampicillin is taken too often. I was taking it exactly every 8 hours.

Tetracycline gives me vivid & hideous nightmares, plus a charming traveling rash that appears in one place, disappears for a few minutes, then shows up elsewhere.

I tried a quaalude during high school. I felt half drunk, then my arms & legs got very itchy, and I fell asleep for 6 hours. (What fun!)

Vicodin has absolutely no effect on me - my pain doesn’t decrease, and I don’t get buzzed at all.

2 Likes

Ain’t that no shit!

3 Likes

It blew my mind back when I moved to the Caribbean in ‘02, and people there were doing coke like it was still the freakin’ 80’s…

2 Likes

Because that worked so well with the British Labour Party, or the British Conservative Party.

He describes a truly surreal exchange with the then home secretary, Jacqui Smith, who told him: “You cannot compare the harms of an illegal activity with a legal one.” But don’t we need to compare the harms, he asked her, in order to see if something should be illegal? "And there was this long pause. And she said, ‘You can’t compare the harms of an illegal activity with a legal one.’ And this is the problem. Many politicians seem to think that once something is illegal, job done. She didn’t understand the paradox of what she was saying.

I have a huge collection of links of scientific evidence in favour of legalising drugs, trans rights, and bodily autonomy in general. It doesn’t move authoritarians one bit, they know they are “right” even when they and everyone else can see that they are wrong. There is no debating with that kind of personality.

7 Likes

It was evidently about in quantities during the 90s. Mom and I began visiting Jamaica in 96, and went there together as long as we could afford it. I was unpleasantly surprised when an ostensibly Rastafarian higgler in Ocho Rios offered to sell me coke after I told him I did not need to buy any ganja. “Rasta sell coke? Cha!” was my reply. Mom caught up to me and asked what he’d said that annoyed me. I told her, and she was equally annoyed. I then began to ‘sing,’ “Mi na sniff coke, me jus’ smoake sinsemilla…” and she LOL’d and sang along. Locals were LTAO as we danced along, singing that. We caught up with the higgler a little later, and we were still singing it. :smiley:

Had that happened in Negril or Kingston, fair do’s, but Ochi was still nothing like either of those places back then.

2 Likes

I’ll smoke to that.

I noticed that on my first trip to Amsterdam (and every trip since): The cataclysmically stoned people in the streets were not speaking Dutch. It was mostly English.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.