Potemkin rumble: your car's muscular engine noise is an MP3

When we bought our first Prius I was unnerved to find that hit had a beeper to warn of the car being in reverse, but the beeper only sounded inside the car. What good is that? I want it to sound like a garbage truck.

5 Likes

Start with this car!

8 Likes

If only I had the spare change to paint a Ferrari that way just to make people upset.

I found this one in Chicago. Maserati. Astral paint job.

3 Likes

I think it’s because bass notes are sexually arousing in fish.

4 Likes

So long as the sound has been designed to only be heard by the drive, I approve wholeheartedly. People don’t seem to give a shit about noise pollution, even though it’s demonstrably both a destroyer of quality of life and health. Plus, whenever I hear a car or motorcycle that’s obviously been altered to make more noise, all I can think is, “Are you three fucking years old? Can you not spare everyone else and just continue to make ‘Vroom vroom’ noises on your own?”

5 Likes

Seems I read they also do this with Harley Davidson motorcycles but my Google Fu is failing - only getting information about how they patented the distinctive sound. Anyone out there will more 411?

3 Likes

As teens, the first thing that we used to do was add fat headers and glass packs.

2 Likes

I will say that although I disagree with the sentiment “Loud pipes saves lives” when it comes to Motorcycles, but mainly that is because they break traffic rules and split lines.

2 Likes

My husband has a fancy Mustang which is, and I’m not even a Mustang fanboi, very very pretty. It is also loud as shit. I pretty much can’t stand being in the car because I have sensitive hearing and do not enjoy it. It is all kinds of fun to drive and see the reactions of people to the loud engine, though - def an attention getter.

I thought it would make a funny short story to do this, and then I find out that truth is stranger than fiction.

I got the idea when I found out that some places were putting minimum noise requirements on hybrids and electrics, and thought, "Wouldn’t it be funny if car enthusiasts got super-obsessed with creating the perfect “hot rod” sound? Would it be purely through speakers? Would some people come up with an acoustic/mechanical way to make the sounds?

My dad is a racing enthusiast and I was raised around this; I remember realizing that, even though Episode I was truly terrible, the sounds of the podracers got my heartrate going. Wouldn’t it be funny to hear a Tesla going down the road someday sounding like Sebulba’s car? Would restrictions be put on the amount of sound a car could make, based on torque, top speed, and so on?

1 Like

the sonic plumage of the american muscle carred male…falsies for men

3 Likes

I’ve never owned a car worth listening to. Two of them have been diseasels.

5 Likes

My personal vote for a hack replacement car engine noise would be the “Jetsons” vehicle sound.

Why they don’t sell replacement sounds as a feature is beyond me.

12 Likes

As it is I detest driving, but it doesn’t have to do with the actual driving part, just dealing with the other drivers.

Well, that would be fun. Just like

1 Like

Do Not Want! I will pretend to care about the safety of pedestrians and stuff, but I like that my car doesn’t make a sound when the gas engine turns off and it is just electric. I don’t want it mandatorily louder.

It gets more awkward when you almost run over your next door neighbors kid because they can’t hear you, because to drive in the cul-de-sac the car is always going slow enough that it is on silent electric. Oops!

I am only embarrassed when I almost kill someone I know because of my silent car. (Probably need a sociopathy tag on here somewhere, or may just “Christ, what an asshole” again).

2 Likes

I absolutely want to turn off that reverse beeper in my Prius. There are some sites and aftermarket kits that I have been too lazy to do or cheap to buy to “fix” it. I will never admit that it has helped me once or twice by reminding me I was in reverse, never.

1 Like

Well you must admit a fast car is more fun than falsies. Otherwise, you have a point.

Conspicuous consumption of energy? Making noise is a way of showing you’ve got joules to burn…

I hate loud engines, and shake my fist like an angry old man when motorcycles go by. Finding out that it’s added back in and/or amplified artificially makes me upset.

3 Likes

Unless it’s a V8 with lake pipes, or a V12, it isn’t mechanical music, so just muffle it.

Lake pipes: 52 Ford customline

V12: 1968 Lamborghini Islero at 12:30

1 Like