Potemkin rumble: your car's muscular engine noise is an MP3

It sure makes people take more notice of MY ride.

8 Likes

I think a pleasant dinging or beep noise that the driver can control (like a car horn just not as loud) would be a nice addition.

Good idea. I do try to toot the horn so I donā€™t kill anyone when the car is driving quietly and a person isn;t hearing it, but it still sounds really loud and obnoxious. I might suggest a quieter horn honk (or beep), because anything out of the ordinary might not be recognized as coming from a car.

As I understand it this practice started with Euro manufacturers of supercars and sports cars. But people like loud cars has a been a pretty recognized for a pretty long while. Previously manufactures just stuck with tweaking the engine, exhaust, interior etc to make sure the engine both sounded ā€œpleasantā€ and was audible to the driver. But quieter modern engines, better interiors etc had moneyed enthusiasts complaining that their cars didnā€™t sound right (or complaining that electrics sounded lame). So you had Ferrari and what have starting this nonsense a few decades ago.

Both,and youā€™ve got a pretty good weekend in Vegas.

2 Likes

I think in 2016 we can expect to have a Tesla option that plays barbershop quartet music outside the car at a tempo logarithmically bound to the current speed.

6 Likes

I think Iā€™m going to add a bicycle bell to my Prius. It has a sort of spaceship/flying saucer noisemaker that operates when itā€™s in all-electric mode and moving faster than a slow walk, but pedestrians often donā€™t register it as a ā€˜carā€™ noise, especially when theyā€™re phoning or texting.

People do seem to register thumb-operated ā€˜ding-ding-dingā€™ bike bells as a "watch out for moving vehicleā€™ warning, so I think Iā€™m gonna rig one up with a solenoid and a dash button.

Hopefully people wonā€™t walk into the side of the car because theyā€™re swiveling around looking for a bicycle. (-:

3 Likes

But if your engine is baffled, it wonā€™t make as much noise. :wink:

2 Likes

This is the worst kind of dis-connect, and I see all kinds of motor-heads getting on board with this. But really, its the wood-grained vinyl siding of the auto world. Icky.

5 Likes

Indeed.

Music is just organised noise -
and noise is poison for the mindā€¦ :wink:

Itā€™s not just engine noise: for (well, more or less forever since they started trying to minimize total chassis mass) a while, car mfrs have teams of engineers to ensure that your door-closing sound matches what youā€™d expect for a solid, strong, protective car door.

1 Like

Are you sure about that? The current 4cyl Mustang one makes over 300hp - as much as the 65/66 Shelby GT350ā€™s everyone gets weepy about.

1 Like

ā€˜Split lanesā€™ I presume you mean? Something that is legal practically everywhere in the world except 49 unenlightened US states.

Breaking traffic rules? My stars, Martha, where is my heart medication?! Those rascals! 4-wheeled horseless carriages never break traffic rules.

3 Likes

Excellent idea, I could steal the bicycle bell with a cool skull and crossbones on it from my 6 year oldā€™s bike, but he would totally kill me if I took it.

2 Likes

It reminds me of the Dortmunder novels. Where Murtch & his mom used to like to listen to records that were recorded traffic sounds on certain routes.

The requirement for an engine noise is based on a flawed study which claimed to prove that hybrids and electrics are more likely to hit pedestrians and cyclists. The study compared arbitrarily chosen models of cars (such as the Prius and Corolla) and did not control for the fact that electrics and hybrids are far more likely to be driving in urbanized areas with heavy bike traffic than the population to which they were compared. Note that another study quite clearly showed that rural drivers are far less likely to hit cyclists or pedestrians - and while Iā€™m not a maths guy, the numbers look consistent to me.

Anyway, I find that the noisemakers on the Nissan Leaf and Plug-in Prius are irritating (which is no doubt intentional) and were louder than the engine noise on a Honda Odyssey in my tests.

An actual blind person told me that he can hear my inverters singing and the sound of my tires on pavement and does not need the noisemaker. I have therefore conceived a fantasy where I change these noises to the Jetsonsā€™ car noiseā€¦ ppprrrwbbbwwwrrrrrrrrrā€¦ anyone with tips on how to do that please speak up!

PS: @pixleshifter, Plasma Boy FTW!!!

5 Likes

Attaching tempo to speed would be pretty sweet, and would work particularly well for certain tunes. Iā€™m thinking In the Hall of the Mountain Kingā€¦

2 Likes

I sometimes drive a prius (v) for work, and the inside beeping thing irritates me. The other annoying thing is that Iā€™m backing out, and people are still walking behind the car because thy canā€™t hear anything and then look at me like Iā€™m the that asshole.

Well a Harley engine is still basically 40ā€™s tech, so the irritating 1/16th-of-an-airplane noise is natural.

2 Likes

I get why people do it. But motorcyclist are putting a lot of faith (and their morality) into other drivers. Bitch and moan all you want about other drivers needing to pay attention to the road, in the end only you are responsible for your life when you split lanes.

1 Like