Potemkin rumble: your car's muscular engine noise is an MP3

This could have saved the Dymaxion car!

1 Like

You can turn that off, or rather you can knock it down to a single beep. I did it in my PIP using a cheap ELM327 interface and a laptop.

If the bloody stickshift wasn’t backwards you’d never make that mistake and wouldn’t need the beeper, eh? Love the Prius, hate the cockpit… godawful ergonomics plus insanely bad design.

But don’t worry, you can’t really turn it off, all you can do is knock it down to a single beep. You’ll need an ODBC interface widget and terminal software - if you get a USB version of the ELM327 it’ll cost you $35 or thereabouts on Amazon, if you get a bluetooth one it’ll be a bit more difficult but roughly the same price and obviously wireless (some people seem to value that).

Incidentally, if your prius is new enough to have a reverse beeper, there’s a good chance it also has an external noisemaker. You’ll have to roll down the window and listen closely to hear it, though. It sounds very eery and uncarlike.

One of the stated reasons for minimum volume levels is because of blind pedestrians.

Which is just ridiculous. I am sighted, and I have no trouble at all hearing both the high pitched whine of the motors as well as the tires on the asphalt.

1 Like

My brother’s newest car doesn’t have this problem.

3 Likes

Whistletips save lives!

The AMC Pacer was awesome. No matter where you sat in it, it always felt like you were in the middle.

3 Likes

Am I the only one who was immediately reminded of this?;

The McLaren F1 of its day?

Good point and you are right, though I refer the honorable gentleman back to my previous response (and admission of sociopathy)

And if there’s, say, a semi truck coming from the other way, does it
interfere in your ability to hear the nearly silent whine of a Prius?

1 Like

That thing is truly wonderful, but man… did it have to be a crappy old Datsun? I’d do that conversion in a heartbeat to my Cougar, silence be damned.

I saw that, and you’re not building up any karma points here. My Cougar has its limitations, but one thing it has never been is leaky! Your ignoble calumny will cost you dearly in future alliances when next the Badass fleet lifts!

I haven’t seen one in a while, but back in the early 90s you could go to Pep Boys and get a backup light bulb (something akin to a Sylvania 1156 that would work in a great many models) with a built-in beeper, so you could sound just like a reversing garbage truck. I put one on my 1981 Honda Civic, and hilarity did ensue.

Those Lake pipes sound exactly like the beginning of “Hot For Teacher.”

I got this from my father, and I’m totally mounting it on my next hybrid or electric car:

Adds an element of Harpo Marx levity to any safety situation! Also much quieter than a modern car horn, but still louder than yelling.

3 Likes

All that y’all need is this:

Edit: this exists:

6 Likes

Most modern engines are pretty quiet when not accelerating. They’re certainly drowned out by a truck, so you have the same problem.

I think it’s because it’s a crappy old Datsun that makes it so great.

5 Likes

I think that just makes it funnier. I love my Cougar for many more reasons than for how it sounds, and it’s not even particularly fast, but it has become somewhat irresponsible to drive since it gets only 18mpg and has no emissions controls to speak of. Converting to an electric drivetrain would make it much more environmentally sound, while still being as gloriously pleasant to drive in the way a 45-year-old American convertible can be, that a Japanese econobox simply cannot.

Somebody will shut up and take my money before the day is out. I will have one!

2 Likes

To be honest, I’m not sold on the environmental cost of electric cars. Batteries are deadly toxic, both in manufacture and disposal. The search for better batteries is the search for heavier and more noxious heavy-metals.
Roll on the consumer Hydrogen engine.

I’ll take whatever I can get that’ll keep my Cougar on the road and won’t wilt the daisies.