Pounded in the butt by my own dark SEO: the weird, true story of #Cockygate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/16/page-stuffing.html

4 Likes

Amazon is a hell hole.

ETA: I have a lot of other things to say about it, but it all boils down to the above.

7 Likes

I bought my elderly mother a Kindle Unlimited subscription for Christmas a few years back. Once I’d paid, I checked it out myself.

If you’re into novella-length romance/erotica, it’s a pretty sweet deal. If you’re not, then it’s pretty grim. One or two genuinely famous books (sorry, I’ve already read The Handmaid’s Tale and the first Harry Potter book), a million works of hyperspecific erotica, and the rest just screams “slush pile.” Which probably contains some great stuff! But you’ll never find it among the wretched-looking stuff that really is wretched.

I don’t want to speculate on whether Mom likes reading 40-part serials about libidinous werewolves, but she uncharacteristically declined to send a thank-you note that year.

12 Likes

This is the now and the future, isn’t it - humans (and soon, AIs) gaming algorithms/AIs in order to make a living.

3 Likes

I thought it was all about art? /s

1 Like

Sounds like spammer excuses.

https://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/that-which-we-dont.html

3 Likes

I’m sure there is a job opening in the Trump administration she was born to fill.

6 Likes

Gotta say, this changed how I viewed the #cockygate thing a little. Hopkins’ position seems a smidge (the merest!) more tenable - or at least I feel the tiniest (quantum scale) bit of sympathy. Whole thing still seems shady AF, though. I love this article/story/investigation.

4 Likes

Hmm. I don’t feel any sympathy for her. It sounds like she was willing and eager to take part in their shenanigans up until the point when they stepped on her toes, then she was against it. Then to protect herself she tries to claim “cocky” as copyrighted and fuck over ANYONE that had used, or wanted to use it in their titles.

Reap and sow.

I’m more interested in this six-figure income per month… but damn. I’m not shady enough to manage it.

5 Likes

Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day.

4 Likes

You can’t judge a book by its Amazon listing

I’m a Tingle guy myself

Like the man said, nobody really wants to know how the sausage is made.

I hear it’s a lot like diplomacy.

The USPTO weighed in on this back in mid-June, posted for authors to read here on Kboards:

Kboards Post With USPTO Support Reply

Check out all the actual truth of, you know…lawmakers. Specifically the part where they say:

“And please note that there is no such thing as a “trademark squatter.” To be eligible for registration, you must be able to submit actual evidence of use on a series of books—you may not simply try to “tie up” a word that you are not actually using in an attempt to then go after other users who may be using this wording.”

Enjoy.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.