Pouring a literal ice-cold can of Coke in -70°F Antarctica

Originally published at: Pouring a literal ice-cold can of Coke in -70°F Antarctica | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Time to fire up the sauna! The 100 degree club had the sauna hot enough that going outside was a 100 degree temperature difference. It just didn’t get cold enough the summer I worked there. Still, my warmest day was -8F.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Unfortunately these videos don’t show the soda freezing mid-stream.

2 Likes

I have my doubts, it takes a while to transfer all that heat.

1 Like

give the poor guy a break if I were holed up in Antarctica I’m sure it would not be long before I too started faking instagram videos to get attention.

Even summer weather is cold enough to make things freeze really really fast. Tears will solidify on your face, snot is ice before it hits the ground. The atmospheric pressure is wonky sometimes too. I wouldn’t call fake so fast.

2 Likes

I used to know a guy who wintered in Antarctica for the Navy in the 80’s. He mentioned a couple of things about it.

-The first 10 minutes of The Thing are an accurate portrayal of the level of boredom there.
-There was a lot of drinking. Way too much for helicopter maintenance people (which the guy was)
-Booze of 80 proof or higher could be kept outside one’s window to keep chilled
-Harassing the local seal population was way too common a hobby

3 Likes

On the waterfaucet fountain thing, there was a soda one as I had one as a child. I won it for some science competition, if I recall correctly. It was really cheaply made and broke not too long after I got it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.