Pregnancy-tracking app was riddled with vulnerabilities, exposing extremely sensitive personal information

You are much kinder than I am. “Eh, it’s easy. Just go that way sorta for awhile, till you get there. Oh, and beware of the Cyclops.”

3 Likes

Reminds me of this snippet of dialogue from Michael Mann’s film adaptation of The Last of the Mohicans:

Duncan: There is a war on. How is it you are headed west?
Hawkeye: Well, we kinda face to the north and real sudden-like turn left.

3 Likes

I go out camping with the Scouts, and they always emphasize having a paper map and magnetic compass in addition to any GPS devices, because paper and magnets don’t have batteries.

2 Likes

I’m showing my age here but when I became an Eagle GPS devices didn’t exist so it makes me laugh to think of Scouts using them now.

One might have helped our assistant Scoutmaster who insisted compasses didn’t work on hills. He was lost in so many ways.

4 Likes

Stunningly poor security model!

Any chance we could somehow acquire a law or set of laws around data negligence?

Progress only moves in one direction, dumdum

Yes, that’s an annoyingly religious approach to tech.

• my higher power is unquestionably good and right

• my higher power is responsible for the entirety of existence, including all evil and suffering

• all problems are solved by greater adherence to my higher power

1 Like

Wow, the amount of “tech is bad! Back to paper & pen!” in this thread is a little head-spinning.
For lots of people & purposes, tech is the precise and correct answer to “what is a good way to track detailed metrics over calendar time and make forecasts based on those records”. The problem isn’t using tech to solve tech-relevant problems, the problem is these hideous implementations driven by market forces that promote insecure dataharvesting on massive scale.

1 Like

I have a tin foil hat too, but Hanlon’s razor seems appropriate here… never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, or in this case cheapness.

1 Like

I dunno bro…in the corporate mind, the thinking about the bottom line IS the default.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.