'Prepare as NFT' option coming to Photoshop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/10/27/prepare-as-nft-option-coming-to-photoshop.html

2 Likes

Just back from the gates of hell, yes they are blown wide open. Am far afield, please advise…

8 Likes

No thanks, I hate it

7 Likes

200-1

10 Likes

“And when everything is an NFT, nothing will be.”

7 Likes

Ugh. It is all so exhausting.

8 Likes

Digital authorship authentication discussions have been the more helpful end of the blitz in NFT interest. While NFTs had almost nothing to do that concept, it at least seems to be a discussion that arose in reaction to it (and the false expectation that that was what NFTs were.) Adobe’s solution at least seems to be something equivalent to the old copyright sawhorse of “mailing it to yourself” even if it doesn’t prevent someone else from “authenticating” a copy of an image later.

5 Likes

Yes, the energy use and environmental problems are real, and the whole phenom of buying a crypto punk image with a different colored hat seems simply idiotic.

But the ability to assert authorship and provenance on works of art is terrifically interesting and could provide new opportunities for artists and collectors.

4 Likes

/facepalm

Oh gods, my first reaction was: “How does this stop anyone from just opening an image that isn’t theirs and turning into an NFT?” Of course it doesn’t, which actually makes this even worse. Because if the actual creator isn’t immediately turning all their images into NFTs, someone else will first, and now those will be the “legitimate” copies that prevent the actual creator from laying any claim to them… FFS!

8 Likes

Adobe wants a cut of the action.

3 Likes

So, thinking out loud a little, does one have to keep up their Adobe subscription until the end of time to keep this NFT verification in place?

Are you so unfamiliar with this nickel-and-diming corporation that you have to ask?

As usual they’re behind the curve, anyhow. The new blockchain hotness when it comes to building wealth on top of empty displays of status and exclusivity (for those who get in early enough on the pyramid) are DAOs.

5 Likes

AND AND AND it doesn’t even stop people from making non-NFT normal image copies. If you can view the thing, you can make a regular old image of it. An NFT is still just a (high-carbon) digital Pokemon card even if you generate it at the same time as you make the actual Pokemon.

6 Likes

My copy of Photoshop was pirated so fuck 'em.

9 Likes

Yeah, the fundamental nature of NFTs is that the link between image and NFT is extremely tenuous at best, and technically the NFT doesn’t convey any ownership of, nor even rights to, the image. The whole thing is such a cluster-f*ck, it really disheartens me to see more companies jumping on the bandwagon.

5 Likes

If only NFTs did anything of the sort. Having an NFT of the thing doesn’t give you the thing, nor does it attest ownership of the thing; it only attests ownership of the NFT of the thing.

3 Likes

Photopea FTW.

3 Likes

this whole NFT thing, don’t really understand it, and this speaks poorly of me – i don’t really want to. i am taking my old man position and putting it into the box with cryptocurrency; don’t get it, i think it is some kind of scam, and i’m tired of hearing about it. boomer out.

3 Likes

If only Adobe spent a fraction of the time fixing serious security holes as they did adding new pointles features to the monstrous bloat that the Adobe Suite has become.

92 bug fixes (61 of which address ‘critical’ vulnerabilities) in 14 products dropped this week alone:

https://www.theregister.com/2021/10/26/adobe_october_extra_patches/

Finally getting off the Adobe bandwagon for the Affinity suite has sped my machine up enormously and I’m not constantly being told there are updates to install. Oh and I’m not spending money every month.

3 Likes

Am I wrong in thinking that NFT’s are just wash trading scams with a layer of art school pretentiousness? Has anyone used the “The actual art is buying into the blockchain” argument yet, or was that the whole point.

Snoop Dogg and Martha Stewart are both NFT players. Are they on the forefront of a new art movement, or are they getting in on some shady investment scams in an unregulated market? Why not both?

4 Likes

In practice, though, we aren’t seeing this. Buyers are paying large sums of money on work that is often plagiarized from other artists (or just copyminted from other NFT collections).A long list of examples can be found at https://twitter.com/NFTtheft. It’s hard to read through and certainly isn’t getting any better.
Solving provenance and ownership by using crypto is one of those ideas that sounds wonderful on paper, but just don’t work in the real world.

2 Likes