President Nixon ranting about homosexuality

http://outhistory.org/exhibits/show/tgi-bios/elagabalus
A Brief Biography of Elagabalus: the transgender ruler of Rome

4 Likes

I think he said the same thing about Bohemian Grove.

I wonder what Nixon thought was the pinnacle of hetro Greek power, the Spartans?

3 Likes

I think the problem is that unlike Nixon, you actually have a nuanced understanding of the history. Somehow the “decline of the classical world” became tied to a perceived lapse of sexual mores, a pack of nonsense that persists to this day (I’m guessing the rise of Christianity had something to do with this narrative).

I’m reminded of how in the movie 300, Leonidas insults Athenians by calling them “philosophers and boy-lovers,” when we know that the real Spartans also had romantic man-boy relationships as a bedrock of their martial society. That kind of complicates the modern perception of Spartans as the ultimate manly men…

7 Likes

And yet, I am certain that they are. :sob:

1 Like

Thank You!

2 Likes

That movie and historical Hellas had about as much in common as our current congress and a MENSA meeting.

4 Likes

President Nixon ranting about (insert any old random topic here).

2 Likes

This. Aristotle: gay. Richard Nixon: not gay. Checkmate.

1 Like

Spiro Agnew?

4 Likes

The didn’t call him tricky dick for nothin’!

2 Likes

Plato, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
Hobbes was fond of his dram

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed
A lovely little thinker
But a bugger when he’s pissed

6 Likes

So “crate of whiskey” is a euphemism?

2 Likes

The blank looks I get when quoting a line or two from that ditty amuses me greatly, the Rene Descartes one in particular. :slight_smile:

ETA
Anyone else think Nixon’s use of “magnificent, handsome guys,” is a little odd given the context?

3 Likes

And it’s going to be faaaaabulous!

1 Like

Given Nixon’s general style; it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise to learn that he thought Greece’s golden age ran from 1967 to 1974.

4 Likes

Nice, Simon

I remember my body. Flabby, pasty-skinned, riddled with phlebitis. A good Republican body. God, how I loved it.

-Richard Nixon’s head

3 Likes

I apologize in advance, but my immature high-school self just shouted, “TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE!”

Richard Nixon’s head in a jar was always my favorite Futurama character.

“Aroooo… or whatever a laugh sounds like.”

1 Like