Preventing pigsplosions

Deep bedding is the solution: http://www.naturalpigfarming.com/deeplitterbedflooring.htm. It’s a traditional technique abandoned in our age of factory farming, sadly.

Unfortunately I think that only works with a sane amount of room allowed for the animals. With commercial farming you would have 12 pigs in the space where the photos here show 3.

And both her and her work are worth knowing!
BTW, I think she’s still teaching at Colorado State University in Fort Collins.

1 Like

But, but … food comes from the supermarket, right? You know, like my electricity comes from the wall socket?

Yeah, I’ve had conversations with people who couldn’t believe chips are potatoes etc. It’s okay if it’s a three year old, but adults…
On a related note: just the other day someone workung at a kindergarden told me they have kids who a) don’t know what a raw carrot looks like and b) can’t eat it without assistance because they can’t bite a bit off and chew it - because their jaw and throat muscles are underdeveloped from being raised on soft squishy food. These kids usually also have deficits in their speech development as some of the muscles in your head and neck not only help you with eating your food but are also part of the complex network of muscles me need to speak. Which provides work for speech-language pathologists (SLPs) aka speech therapists.

1 Like

True. And that overcrowding is a huge disease risk.

The thing about deep bedding that is so great is that you are adding a carbon source. Combine that with the nitrogen in pig waste and you have the beginnings of compost rather than sewage.

On the bright side, they’re part of the way toward figuring out how to collect
biogas from pig farms…

Pigs don’t give bacon either. You have to kill them and take it from them. I would be much more ethical if they could just give bacon.

Or grow it in a tank without the rest of the pig. Seriously, what do we need all that other stuff for?

I have a chunk of poo on my sole telling me the alliance is long sundered.

1 Like

Pigsplosions are important to the study of medieval siege warfare, so you can’t expect me not to post.

Also, I think Posidonius said my ancient celtic ancestors were overjoyed at the introduction of pigs to Britain, because they could eat acorns (which the Celts thought inedible to men) and their “flesh is sweeter than oxen”.

I am vaguely aware that all this has nothing to do with the topic, sorry Maggie, and good night all.

I could have sworn I read the Welsh used sheep for their siege warfare, but maybe they knew that pigs were more explosive?

Fetchez la vache!

1 Like

Well, we had to expect some kind of blowback for the whole spay/neuter thing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.