Printer ink wars may make private property the exclusive domain of corporations

Thus I learn new things.

Tell me about your 7000lpi 8-color illustration proofs with natural inks already. Could I have used some carrots going off after a little extractor work? I got some fanfold art from my Pantum but I didnā€™t run it through 8 times with a dryer stage.

1 Like

Actually, some of us use printers, because we like to print out stuff to editā€¦ Iā€™m not a corporation.

2 Likes

Oh, Iā€™m one of the real people that still uses a printer too; that was just my usual level of naturally occurring snark.

Itā€™s kinda my thing; itā€™s what I do.

:slight_smile:

A judgeā€™s ruling certainly isnā€™t going to make anybody feel guilty about refilling their ink cartridges. But it COULD mean that someone trying to start a cartridge-refilling business would get shut down real quick.

More important than the question of printer ink is the legal precedent this creates for all the other products we buy.

2 Likes

Fair enoughā€¦ Have a Prince gif (since Iā€™m out of likes for the day)!

3 Likes

If Lexmark gets away with this itā€™s only a matter of time before Epson and all the other manufacturers follow suit.

Itā€™s cool; Iā€™m still a wee bit puzzled as to why thereā€™s a daily limit, but I guess the programmers had their reasons.

Have a Prince gif backā€¦

I interpreted his comment as referring to the printer, not the toner cartridge. :wink:

As I stated before, I personally find a black and white laser serves 99% of my needs, and those occasions where I need colour then it is worth it to use professional printing elsewhere on a medium other than paper. As I no longer make flyers or anything that needs a colour proof, I decided to not replace my old Canon inkjet.

EDIT: I am referring to my private printer. What they have at work doesnā€™t interest or bother me, as there I also stick to just black toner.

Christ what a bunch of assholes incorporated!

I would complain, but I donā€™t really have any problems buying Epson inks. Theyā€™re moving to large hopper systems anyway instead of cartridges. The Lexmark ruling is only an issue if you really enjoy refilling ink cartridges, which has always been a pain in my ass every time I did it.

I hate to defend these people at all but they do have a small point, mainly where business use is concerned. Businesses hate printers running out of toner or ink or producing poor quality, and as they canā€™t control third party cartridges, there is the possibility that the printer will get a bad rap because someone in facilities is bad at buying good product. Less of a problem with home use. But there is some legitimacy in warranties that are voided by the use of third party consumables. I buy OEM during the three year warranty and then switch to the cheap stuff, but Iā€™m still careful who I buy from.

Your warranty doesnā€™t cover proscribed use, no problem.

Your terms make my choice of use illegal / impossible, problem.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.