Prison inmates built working PCs out of ewaste, networked them, and hid them in a closet ceiling

Or somebody who assumed that ‘IT’ is set 'n forget. Apparently there were compromised credentials involved, and some sort of monitoring system was tripped, so it sounds like some attempt at network authentication was in place; but minimal attention being paid.

5 Likes

Because, what could possibly go wrong in a prison?

Seems like maximum attention would be warranted.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Cyberpunk AF, indeed.

6 Likes

Cory, you broke the price of that Russian book:(

2 Likes

and after the civil war, the usual practice was to convict former slaves and sell their labor to former slaveholders.

4 Likes

10 Likes

I think a significant proportion of the commentariat here got a lot less worried when “build a PC out of salvaged parts and hide it in the air ducts” became the third possible outcome of going to jail, after “kick someone’s arse” or “become someone’s​ bitch.”

6 Likes

There was a great Futility Closet episode in which American WWII POWs in a German camp, It’s worth a listen. In fact, the entire podcast is worth a listen.

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Mobile-Phones-Supported-Black/dp/B01IGH8A2I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1492061225&sr=8-3&keywords=smallest+mobile+phone

And there you go. It would probably be better to provide inmates with computers that the COs can monitor instead of fighting the technology.

2 Likes

What an ugly combination: parasitic behaviour and creative talent

1 Like

are there still other kinds?

the local public library when i was a kid used to have a single adult magazine subscription, to the braille version of playboy. for years i imagined that it contained some sort of 3D embossed relief nudes and remember thinking how cool it was that they’d do that for blind people. eventually i found out from a blind guy it was only the articles. i somehow expressed condolences, and he explained that blind people weren’t visual in the same way and descriptions were better than images. later in life i learned that people who lost their eyesight could likely interpret a embossed relief image, but a person born blind could not as it is a visual abstraction.

embossed paper nudes like i imagined (click to see, semi-nsfw):

11 Likes

Ironically, the only game they managed to download was FreeCell.

9 Likes

Ooh. That’s the sort of thing that a cost center would say, probably while not being a team player.

Good way to find yourself replaced by an appliance solution.

2 Likes

10 Likes

wow…you can save images from my brain???

talk about specific lol!!!

3 Likes

It’s funny: that image wasn’t what I was actually looking for.

That still is from Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

I was looking for about thirty seconds later, when Robin returns to his ancestral home, and Blinkin runs to greet and hug him. Instead of hugging Robin, he ends up hugging a Venus de Milo reproduction (which would be slightly off-screen, left in the picture above):

Oh, Master Robin! You lost your arms in battle!

… But you grew some nice boobs!

That was how I planned to reply. I had completely forgotten about the “Braille Playboy” scene that immediately preceded it, and it was just good fortune that it came up in the image search results.

5 Likes

fate smiled on us both, it is the most perfect image possible. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Marion is a minimum- and medium-security facility, which makes this feat less surprising. Some of these guys are probably in there for computer-based crimes to begin with.

5 Likes

Three simple substitutions and this is eerily similar to several incidents in my career.

I guess the lines between schools, prisons, and wage slavery get fuzzier every day!

I’d admire these guys if they hadn’t used their bootleg node to commit crimes.

6 Likes