Prison visiting room photo backdrops

The image above is a photo backdrop in the visiting room at Woodbourne Correctional Facility in New York. It’s one of many unusual paintings found in prison visiting rooms around the United States. Their function is to make family photos more pleasant. Alyse Emdur photographed these scenes and compiled images sent by inmates into a… READ THE REST

1 Like

Not a fake trout. That’s a fake bass.

Seeing as how everyone is using digital cameras anyway it is a great application for greenscreen/bluescreen.

1 Like

nice catch

thanks!

Isn’t the one on the top left a painting of a screenshot from Encarta’s Mindmaze?

I see what you did there.

1 Like

They’re like oversized van paintings.

This is kind of heart-breaking.

1 Like

That was a great article. Thanks for sharing it here. It was, indeed, kind of heart-breaking and yet, also, kind of inspiring. I thought the whole part about artists having a lot of respect in prison was interesting and it makes sense but I never have heard of that.

1 Like

The USA is the only country in the world that can claim that 1 out of 50 adult males is behind bars. No other country puts as many of its citizens in prison; no other country comes close, not even Russia and China. Canada and Western Europe have an incarceration rate 5-7 times lower than the USA’s.

So yeah, there’s a lot of prison art, but let’s not forget that it’s a symptom of America’s insanely enormous prison population.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.