Prisoner attacks judge during sentencing hearing

No. I mean, if she wants to for whatever reason, that’s her business, but she shouldn’t have to, and this comment is flirting with victim blaming. Most self defense classes teach bullshit that doesn’t work in real life, anyway.

11 Likes

It doesn’t seems like the wisest way to request a change in venue.

2 Likes

You mean Bobby Hill lied!

King Of The Hill GIF

6 Likes

That was quite the flying leap over the judge’s dais.

Flying Peter Avalon GIF by United Wrestling Network

1 Like

It appears they got him off her right away and she was over by her chair. The beating then took place between him and the ones trying to restrain him.

1 Like

Agreed. Most self defence classes only create a false sense of a person’s ability to protect themselves. The techniques they teach aren’t in muscle memory and won’t be called up when a real confrontation is in the student’s face.
I have a couple of decades of serious martial arts and self defence training plus have taught both. The best protection is to not get in an obviously sketchy situation and run like hell if you’re attacked. Packing any kind of weapon actually puts you at a practical and legal disadvantage.
The judge doesn’t have these kinds of options, especially with the way this assault played out. It behooves the guards to be ready for acts of violence and have a plan plus training to deal with these events.

8 Likes

This isn’t hollywood , there’s no such button or similar thing that can activate a shield of that matter.

1 Like

Maybe we can gut the public defender budget again?

/s

3 Likes

Great comment on YouTube:

His lawyer told him to throw himself on the mercy of the court, but he completely misunderstood.

9 Likes

While there’s nothing at all funny about this actual situation, the exact still frame that went with this headline is somehow hilarious to me. I can’t quite articulate why.

2 Likes

Shocked Face Wow GIF

1 Like
1 Like

What about phasers?

1 Like

By default, court proceedings should take place within a dampening field.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Rare. Phew!

1 Like

It’s a matter of not getting the case thrown out. There was a case not long ago where a murderer made a successful appeal because he was shackled during the trial. I think at this point it’s very rare for defendants to be shackled, even in cases like this where they obviously should be.

Ervine Lee Davenport was convicted of first-degree murder after a jury trial in Michigan state court. He challenges his conviction in a habeas corpus petition under 28 U.S.C. § 2254 because he was visibly shackled at the waist, wrist, and ankles during trial.
“The law has long forbidden routine use of visible shackles during the guilt phase” of a criminal trial. Deck, 544 U.S. at 626.
CONCLUSION
For the foregoing reasons, we REVERSE the district court’s denial of Davenport’s § 2254 petition, GRANT Davenport a conditional writ of habeas corpus that will result in his release from prison unless the State of Michigan commences a new trial against him within 180 No. 17-2267 Davenport v. MacLaren Page 26 days from the date of this opinion and REMAND the case for further proceedings consistent with this opinion

I mean… this guy, who is 6’5" and 299lbs, murdered someone with his bare hands, and they were not supposed to shackle him.

1 Like

the thing is, most assaults ( and even murders ) are done by people who already know their victim, often spouses or other family. attacks against judges aren’t frequent enough to warrant restraints as regular procedure

his charges weren’t detailed in the articles i saw, but the summary said maybe break-ins and domestic violence … not violence against strangers

this is notable because it’s so rare i think

5 Likes

The number of “well, she shouldn’t have been so condescending, maybe she’ll think twice about how she uses her authority over other people” comments on the video are disgusting. I’m sure it’s totally not because the judge was a woman. Ugh.

5 Likes

If defendants physically attacking judges was really a common enough occurrence to warrant building special courtroom infrastructure to prevent it then it would be far simpler to just enclose the judge’s bench in plexiglass like some bank tellers and convenience stores have.

4 Likes