Produce Stand Off - A food thread for plant-based eaters

Agreed!

What’s even more terrifying is durian, which is about as heavy but harder and so much pointier:

10 Likes

That smell tho.

I think durian must be the jackass of jackfruits.

4 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/17/europe/early-europeans-seaweed-dental-plaque-scn/index.html

Not until the very end of the article does the writer add,

Dubbed a “superfood,” around 145 species of seaweed are eaten today, mainly in Asia, and they are known to have many health benefits.

The scientists said they hoped that their research would highlight the potential for including more seaweeds and freshwater plants in present-day diets.

I’ve had some delicious “seaweed” in various Asian dishes, and sometimes wondered afterward why “westerners” dispargingly call it a weed. We’re really missing out!

This one can be nice-- samphire. I’m not sure it quite grows IN the sea, so maybe it doesn’t get called a “weed,” and therefore qualifies as “food”? :thinking:

7 Likes

I got really into that survival show “Alone” a few years ago and always wondered about this. As far as I know, unless there’s some kind of water pollution, pretty much all seaweed is edible, though it varies in terms of nutritional value and desirability. But these learned survivalists would be basically starving while the beach was covered in different species of seaweed. :woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

Also, I’ve been making variations of this. It’s really good.

Oops, that’s the wrong one, though now I want to try it.
This is the one I’ve been making:

The veggie broth you end up with is also delicious. I keep it and just drink it.

9 Likes

Ever since I saw a recipe for it, I’ve wanted to make kelp pickles. Basically, take the thick section of bullwhip kelp, slice it into rings and pickle it just like cucumbers. The difficulty is finding kelp that has dislodged but is still fresh. I wont dislodge kelp to make some food. No way.

7 Likes

Yes and no.

Yes and it is the dose the makes the poison.

No and if you are of child-bearing age, or otherwise seek to avoid ingesting heavy metals for whatever reason, please choose moderation or proceed with caution [IANAD].

I used to eat a lot more hijiki and if there’s anyone here reading this who knows a lot about human physiology and inorganic arsenic, please chime in!

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1018364722002592

Bioaccumulation Factor (BAF) of heavy metals in green seaweed to assess the phytoremediation potential

Heavy metals are mostly discharged from several anthropogenic sources in the lower Gangetic delta. They are a matter of great concern due to their non-conservative nature. Heavy metals Zn, Cu, and Pb, were analyzed in the estuarine water and thallus body tissue of Enteromorpha compressa from 10 different stations in the lower Gangetic delta complex through three seasons. The levels of heavy metals varied as per the order Zn > Cu > Pb in both the aquatic phase and biological sample, irrespective of stations. The maximum concentration of Zn was observed in Kakdwip (Stn. IV) and both Cu and Pb in Nayachar Island (Stn. III). The minimum was observed in Bagmara (Stn. X) for all metals in the seaweed sample through all the seasons. The levels of all dissolved heavy metals were maximum in Nayachar Island (Stn. III) and lowest in Bagmara (Stn. IV). A distinct seasonal pattern is observed for all the selected metals with the highest value during monsoon, followed by postmonsoon and premonsoon. The Bioaccumulation Factors (BAF) computed for all the selected heavy metals exhibit the highest value for Pb, followed by Zn and Cu. …

In cultivated seaweeds traditionally eaten, looks like lead (a heavy metal with known bad effects on human health) will bioaccumulate (“not permanently”) in at least one edible variety–yikes:
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1755-1315/763/1/012059/pdf

Metal bioaccumulation potential of the seaweed Kappaphycus alvarezii

Abstract.
Kappaphycus alvarezii is one of the two main species of seaweed commodities
cultivated in Indonesia. K. alvarezii more popularly known as Eucheuma cottonii, is belongs to the red algae. This seaweed is one of the most important commercial sources of carrageenans, a family of gel-forming, viscosifying polysaccharides. Carrageenans are used as gelling, thickening, and stabilizing agents in a variety of commercial applications, especially in food products such as frozen desserts, chocolate milk, cottage cheese, whipped cream, instant products, yoghurt, jellies, pet foods, and sauces. Aside from these functions, carrageenans are used in pharmaceutical formulations, cosmetics, and industrial applications such as mining.

This study aimed to analyse the metal bioaccumulation potential of the seaweed K. alvarezii. This study was conducted in three sea areas around South Sulawesi, namely the Gulf of Bone, Flores Sea and the Makassar Strait. Seaweed samples were collected from seaweed cultivation locations in four locations (Regency of Jeneponto in two locations, Takalar and Pangkep). The metal concentrations analysed were Copper (Cu), Cadmium (Cd), and Lead (Pb). The concentration in Cu, Cd, and Pb in the seaweed K. alvarezii was higher than the concentration in ambient sea water. The seaweed K. alvarezii has a potential as a bioaccumulator, but the accumulation was not consistent. The Cu, Cd, and Pb probably can be accumulated or released back. This is good in terms of food safety because heavy metals can be released during post-
harvest processing and carrageenan powder processing. The results of this study indicate that K. alvarezii has the potential for bioaccumulation, but not permanent accumulation, so it is safe for human health.

6 Likes

Not an authority on seaweed consumption, but heavy metals in rice are a concern to me, to the point that I no longer recommend rice cereal for infants that I take care of. Obviously, as rice is such a very important staple around the world, this is a worry. But is comes back to the fact that we have done this to ourselves.

Arsenic in brown rice: do the benefits outweigh the risks? - PMC.
Arsenic in Rice | U.S. GAO

(No one box. Sorry, guys!)

10 Likes

Yeah, I learned of the heavy metals (arsenic, cadmium, lead) in rice species years ago, with the Lundberg brown rice findings of arsenic study. Aye carumba. I do still periodically buy and eat Lundberg short grain brown rice.

I am grateful for Lundberg’s transparency at least.

7. CONCLUSIONS

Inorganic arsenic is known to increase the risks of systemic and carcinogenic effects in humans. While a significant number of non-cancer end-points have been linked to both acute and chronic iAs exposure, many human neoplasms have been linked to long term exposure. Although these adverse health effects have been well characterized under specific exposure conditions, there are several gaps in scientific knowledge that should be addressed. In this regard the following technical objectives are proposed to direct future research endeavors in arsenic toxicology: a) develop animal models of arsenic carcinogenesis to further elucidate its modes of action; b) characterize the underlying mechanisms of iAs tumorigenicity; c) evaluate the combined action of iAs and other human carcinogens, for example cisplatin; d) characterize gender-specific susceptibility markers and other factors that influence the biotransformation process; e) characterize the potential modifying factors such as nutritional constituents, genetic polymorphisms, and/or the presence of other diseases that may affect arsenic metabolism, for example cardiovascular diseases; f) determine the role played by genetic susceptibility and changes in gene expression in arsenic toxicity; g) conduct stronger epidemiological studies to ascertain the specific impacts of iAs toxicity on the reproductive and developmental systems; h) evaluate both genetic and epigenetic mechanisms in iAs-induced teratogenic, developmental, and carcinogenic effects in children; i) assess the types/species and amount of arsenic in foodstuffs that are consumed in arsenicosis endemic areas; and j) conduct further epidemiological investigations on people consuming low concentrations of arsenic, in order to determine the magnitude and strength of association, as well as to generate new scientific data that can be used to reduce uncertainties in the estimation of the strength of association regarding the health risks associated with low levels of iAs exposure. Emerging evidence describing the molecular pathogenesis of various cancers due to arsenic exposure such as cutaneous, lungs, liver, kidney lesions may be helpful in developing novel therapeutic interventions for these diseases in arsenic-exposed human populations. Scientific data generated from the proposed investigations will provide new insights on iAs toxicity/carcinogenicity and further advance the understanding of its overall spectrum of adverse health effects. By providing a scientific basis for informed decision-making on the cost-effective control/prevention of arsenicosis, these novel studies would have a significant public health impact.

NB: the heavy metals accumulation is not solely found in rice… other grains and pulses are likewise affected.

5. Conclusions

Toxic metal exposure through diet is a public health concern. As a result, food safety is an issue that threatens human health and agricultural trade. This study assessed the distribution of toxic and essential elements in rice and other grains from different geographical locations (USA, Italy, India, Thailand, and Canada) consumed in the US. The study also assessed the effect of rinse washing on concentrations of toxic and essential elements in white rice. White rice from Thailand, India, and Italy showed higher median concentrations of toxic metal such as As, Pb, and Cd compared to white rice from the US. Lead and Cd concentrations did not exceed the codex standards; however, As concentrations in brown rice and one white rice from US exceeded the codex standards. White and brown rice had higher median concentrations of toxic metals than other grains, which in turn had higher median concentrations of essential elements. Our study shows that coupling rice with other grains in a meal could provide additional essential elements, which could be insufficient rice diet. We also showed that washing of rice reduces some toxic and essential elements in rice. Elemental distribution in grains from different regions will help countries to make informed decisions on importing cereals such as rice. Rice and other grain producers can establish strategies to reduce significant metal uptake from soils. Identifying proper rice treatment processes such as washing provides the rice-consuming population with information on reducing metal exposure while still conserving essential elements in the grain.

Navigating one day at a time, whistling past the graveyard.
With a candle. Flashlight from a smartphone. Whatever.

7 Likes

Dang, didn’t know this (from that 2nd article)

Metabolic risk factors that lead to a diagnosis of arsenic-induced metabolic syndrome include having a large waistline, high blood pressure, elevated fasting blood sugar, high triglyceride level, and low HDL cholesterol. Those risk factors are identical to the ones for cardiovascular diseases.

ETA:

Bill Paxton Aliens GIF

6 Likes

We made this chili this weekend (the dark soy sauce finally came!)

It’s rather amazing. So smoky and hearty. We didn’t have exactly the right dried peppers, but mostly, and subbed in pretty similar variants.
I topped mine with some cashew sour cream, parsley, jalapeños and Frank’s hot sauce.
And mostly scooped it into my mouth with tortilla chips.
He says in the video it makes “3 to 4 hearty servings” but in our house it’ll be way more than that. Probably at least double.
Based on tips here (thanks @1000YearBan !) we froze the tofu first. Definitely noticed it in the final texture. Yum.

7 Likes
5 Likes

This sounds so good

6 Likes

Exciting news!

The result is a crackly strip with some chewy parts and a smoky flavor. No one would mistake it for actual bacon. It lacks bacon’s greasy, fatty, rubbery — sorry, about to gag here — parts as well as its nitrates and nitrites. But it more than fills the bill for breakfast combos and BLTs.

I’ve always loved the flavor of bacon, but stopped eating decades ago because of, well, all the bad ways that it is what it is. I use a seitan bacon for BLT’s, and this stuff sounds even better, hope a market near me carries it soon!

8 Likes

Ooh, yum. We had a library book a little while ago that had a leek soup recipe topped with homemade “mushroom bacon” that looked really alluring. I think it was just marinating sliced shiitakes then baking low and slow, kind of how I do tofu sometimes to get a nice toothsomeness.
We didn’t make it before returning the book, but now I’m tempted…
That chili we made that I posted upthread has lasted us all week.

6 Likes

Intriguing! Do you have a recipe handy for that?

7 Likes

Sure, if you mean the tofu. I kind of wing it now but the original recipe is:
1 block extra firm tofu
1/6 C soy sauce
3/8 C water
1 T fresh Ginger, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 T sesame oil
2 T sesame seeds
To which I often add some hot oil or hot peppers, maybe some honey or mirin, and/or 1 T corn starch to improve crisping.
Slice or cube your pressed tofu (I mostly slice into slabs nowadays) and marinate at least 45 minutes but I stick it in the fridge overnight.

Bake in greased baking sheet @ 425 F. Rotate each 15 minutes and drizzle with any sauce in the pan. Flip after 15 minutes (not necessary, but recommended.) Overall cooking time varies depending how much liquid you have with the add ins. Usually between 30 minutes to an hour.

You can also do a variation where you set the slabs out on your greased baking sheet a couple hours before baking and retain the extra marinade for stir fry. Cook the same, it goes quicker, usually 30 minutes, flipping half way through.
I just leave until it gets the texture I want. One time I forgot it and it was like tofu jerky. Was good!
And now that I know the tip, I’d freeze the tofu before starting the whole process.
Now that I’m remembering, I think the mushroom bacon was lower and longer. I’ll see if I can find it.

8 Likes

:thinking:

Think I should rethink my oil use. I almost alway fry (or “sautee”) with olive oil, because it seems healthier than canola or whatever " vegetable oil" is. But maybe that’s a bad idea.

10 Likes

I don’t think low to no heat is accurate for olive oil, especially if you use good EVOO. It’s definitly not for high heat, so not for stir frying, but a nice saute for something like eggplant or zucchini? Hell yes.

9 Likes

It’s not so good for frying because it has a very low smoke point and the taste changes when it’s heated.

6 Likes