Cooking (not just dinner)

I thought I’d split off from the dinner thread and spawn a more general cooking, techniques, tips, and tipple thread.

Northwest Dashi

For things such as miso soup, Dashi is a wonderful vegan stock that has a deep, rich flavor. This is kind of a “what is in your garden or fridge” recipe, and unconventional.

• Kombu
  • Wakame
  • Nori
  • Scallions
  • Shiitake mushrooms
  • Porcini mushrooms
  • Walla Walla onion
  • Whole radishes

To be canned and used as a base for poaching fish, miso soup, crab boils, and perhaps bouillabaisse. (I know, I am a heathen)

11 Likes

Yesterday I made three entirely different loaves of bread: a plum bread for breakfast, a country boule for the day, and a 7-grain loaf for sandwiches for school lunches.

One of my cheats is to have a dough bucket (plastic with cover and volume markings) always going in the fridge. I can take a hunk out and add other ingredients (including other types of flour) and shape it how I want. Between the final rise and baking it’s about 2 hours to a fresh loaf.

5 Likes

I suspect something like

2 Likes

Nope, this:

4 Likes

Lunch!!

5 Likes

What’s on the cucumbers and green onion other than sesame seeds? That looks yummy!

Rice vinegar. I’m an omnivore, but dayum I love vegetables. Speaking of, I have tomatoes to pick today.

7 Likes

I love (LOVE) dried roasted seaweed. One of my cats loves it even more, I can’t eat it alone, because she is right there demanding to share.

That does look like a delicious lunch.

2 Likes

I used to keep a big container of packets of nori at my desk at work. I found out pretty quick who liked sushi.

4 Likes

I really need to starting cooking again. I mean, the infant is nearly 8 months now, it’s time to stop just eating toast for nearly every meal.

5 Likes

You’ve only got a short window before the kid becomes a toddler and evolution protects them by making them INCREDIBLY PICKY about food then. (So that when they’re finally mobile they don’t start putting everything they can reach in their mouths, poisonous or not…the ones who did that, by definition, didn’t live long enough to reproduce.)

Make what is normal food for you, but hold back on spices, and grind it up to feed the baby little bits so that the flavors become known. There’s a general consensus on order of introduction, but really, you know your kid (and what comes out in their diapers) better than anyone.

You need the nutrition too, you know!

6 Likes

I’m not a dad, so take everything I say with a boulder of salt. But there was a cool thing a dad friend of mine did for a long time.

Unsalted vegetable stew in a crock pot with a variety of grains like quinoa. Then us adults would have stew, and he would use something that looked like one of those rocket smoothie blenders to make babbe food. I just thought it was really kind everyone was involved, and it was waaay cheaper.

Of course I doused mine with chili’s, cilantro, and cheese. Babbe will get there some day :smile:

10 Likes

My little asks about lots of foods before eating them: “Is not spicy?” She has learned because dad likes a Scoville number that would melt a Nazi’s face. So she’s onto my plot.

7 Likes

Teachem young. Next up, can she stand Maytag Blue? It is a national treasure.

5 Likes

She is a cheese-head, descended from cheese-heads. I haven’t tried bleu yet, but we definitely will. Thank you for the suggestion! She, so far, digs the sharpest cheddar, so I think she will probably be up for Maytag. I will report back.

4 Likes

Is there more interesting cheese from Wisconsin than just that bland cheddar stuff?

I guess I should have just looked at Wiki

4 Likes

California, Wisconsin, New York and Vermont produce the most interesting cheeses in the US. However, that is not a statement about production, because there are lots of states that produce tons.

Bland, yellow colby “cheddar” is the most common, as well as that processed yellow smooth crap called “American.” Yes, they are cheese, barely, but there are tons more and in many styles here. We don’t all just sit around eating hot dogs and drinking Budweiser.

#NotAllFatAsses

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with hot dogs, Budwiser on the otherhand… Though I have had it fresh off the factory line same day and it was passable (yay for friends with non drinking parents who work at the brewery). But honestly I think Michelob is the only one from that megabrewery I could regularly drink and I can’t even get that in Seattle.

Yeah, our cheese tradition is not nearly as strong as Frances, bit there are a lot of greats. Fraga and Willamette valley from around here are fantastic. Humbolt Fog is one of the world’s greats. Beecher’s Just Jack from Seattle is stylistically perfect, and makes perhaps the best grilled cheese sammies.

That said in my fridge right now… English cheddar and a gouda I think is from Switzerland.

1 Like

Oh yeah, like you, I’m no cheese snob, just as I’m no beer snob. Maybe I gave off that impression that I’m super picky choosy and opinionated. I’m not.

What is it called when you aren’t a snob because you’re not going to go, “FIE on your Wensleydale” but you go, “Well, Velveeta is the lowest common denominator of things technically defined as cheese, so I recognize it as cheese. It’s just not very good cheese. I eat everything else.” People who are willing to chop off the lower echelons, but are not going to be an asshole about everything else above that minimum baseline level?

What do you call those people?

3 Likes