Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 2)

Continuing the discussion from Happy Mutants food and drink topic (Part 1) - #5071 by kentkb.

Previous discussions:

5 Likes

There are loads of recipes in Indian cooking alone, add in all the other places its grown and there are so many ways I’ve yet to eat it, and I love okra.

5 Likes

I’m team-teaching a course on Food Culture this fall with someone in Anthro, and we’re brining in different people to talk about, and sample, what different foods and drinks mean to them, culturally. We’ll also recreate dishes (as best we can) from historical recipes. My chair laughs that I’m running a big scam with this.

15 Likes

Continue the scam, it sounds wonderful.

10 Likes

I…hope that’s a typo! :laughing:

13 Likes

Schitts Creek What GIF by CBC

Did he miss the “everything has a history” meme?

8 Likes

Whoot!
HMF&DT just passed a milestone. Over 5k postings to this topic.

9 Likes

Whoot! Part 2.

8 Likes

It is, but I’m leaving it because it’s a tasty one.

7 Likes

Well, I’ve requested to use funds for food for the class. Buts it’s good-natured joking around.

7 Likes

April 1st was a while ago…

6 Likes

I mean, just throw around the old “hands on learning” argument… works like a charm! Practical history!

9 Likes

“Experiential” nails it.

10 Likes

Stephen Colbert Fireworks GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

And it sounds more academic/intellectual/postmodern/whatthefuckever!

6 Likes

I recently learned about McDonald’s McPlant burger, which I am curious about, but they aren’t available around here. But I found this review, complete with photos.
Check out the difference in the “official” PR photo of the burger:

Versus what the reviewer got in their box:

It’s been a long, long time since I’ve eaten any fast food, but I seem to remember that there weren’t huge globs of mayo that didn’t even pretend to have been applied to the actual sandwich. So sloppy!

According to the review, they’re just “meh,” but comparable to the Whopper version for less than half the price.

7 Likes

Let’s be careful out there.

13 Likes

Very scary indeed.

6 Likes

I’ve been curious about the KFC beyond chicken…

7 Likes

“Chik’n” nuggets are an easy substitution because the real thing is usually a mix of plant-based proteins as well as odd bits & pieces of chicken, so there isn’t that much difference in preparation or taste anyway.

7 Likes

OKAYOkayokay…
Yes I have made my own pizza.
Little known fact, I was pizza chef in high school. Riviera pizza parlor on Clayton road Concord Ca.
That said, yes I am a pizza snob. A Margherita pizza is my test if anyones pizza.
Just tested a frozen pizza ( I know!) and will recommend Del Popolo made here in San Francisco and sold at Trader Joe’s.

10 Likes