Cooking (not just dinner)

I dunno, but it’s kinda like the gourmand version of a fish-eating vegetarian.

4 Likes

It is like that. A couple of vegetarians and I were talking the other day and they were gung ho for me to BBQ them some grass-fed beef tenderloin! I said, perplexedly, you buy it and I will grill it!

2 Likes

Polite?

6 Likes

What is this I don’t even

/shaking my head in wonder and consternation

4 Likes

I don’t think I’m a cheese (or beer) snob. I just like stuff with strong flavours. Happy to eat mousetrap as long as it’s flavourful.

3 Likes

Actually, one dinner that plays well around here for most of the year (not when it’s hot in summer) is good bread, good cheese, and homemade soup. So easy, infinitely variable, and flexible enough when you find out at the last minute that there are going to be a couple of extra people at the dinner table.

3 Likes

Now you have me taking notes.

1 Like

Not a lie or fabrication! I was rather taken aback, but willing to go along with it.

2 Likes

Reasonable? :smile:
Dude, I love American cheese on certain kinds of burgers and cheeze whiz on Philly’s.

Best cheesesteak I ever had–me and a friend were in Philadelphia and didn’t know where to go. So we pulled over a cop and asked him where the best sammich was. He was elated.

He told us how to get to a kinda open air market with most booths run by Mennonites. Best. Cheesesteak. Evar.

5 Likes

effen white peoples be pulling cops over to ask for where dinner is

14 Likes

This is certainly true, but I’ll eat it anyway, and like it. It makes nice nachos and a decent gooey grilled cheese sandwich, too. But hey, I’ll drink Budweiser too, if it’s all that’s available. It can be fun to be a beer or cheese snob, but that goes right out the window when I’m hungry or thirsty. I have eaten and drunk far worse things, and been glad to have them too.

3 Likes

Dammit, you guys make me eat my words all the time. I eat queso a lot here in Texas. Guess what that’s made of? Velveeta or the even cheaper H-E-B knockoff brand. It has chili peppers and tomatoes in it. Specifically, you get a crock put, put in a big block or two of Velveeta then put in a can of “Rotel.” Heat it up on low and it turns into this amazing gooey nacho stuff. Love queso. So, I eat my words… aaaaaaagainnnnnn. Sheesh.

8 Likes

Know what’s worse? Trying to make queso with an expensive cheddar and it breaks.

Hmm… Maybe I’ll make fondue tonight…

Hard cider, corn starch (yes, I cheat), gouda, medium Cheddar, and a pinch of blue (not. Too. Much.) Is delish.

3 Likes

I used some rotel just now for dinner, but not queso. I grilled 8 ears of corn until they were black and partially burned on the kernels. Then I peeled the husks & cut all the kernels off. Poured a big can of rotel over top. Instant chili-corn-tomato salsa.

2 Likes

I can’t eat as much as you’re making at a time. I use about a 1" section of a Velveeta block and add about 2 Tbs of chunky salsa, microwave and stir.

1 Like

Now see, for me, it’s all about location. If I’m going to be in a major city in a well-industrialized part of the world, I’m not going to eat or drink the lowest common denominator.

But geez, haven’t I drunk basically homemade lighter fluid in countries where they called it “local beer”, and not complained at all? Or eaten food that was clearly mush, or in some other way not well prepared, but said “thank you” in the local language – and meant it – to the little old ladies covered in soot from the open fires where they cook?

3 Likes

OK, here’s my fondue story.

I went to a big alcohol distributor store (now bought out by Binny’s, for those who might know) to get some kirschwasser for fondue. (It’s not the sort of thing you can find in most liquor stores.) While there, I saw they had a lovely 25-year-old single malt on sale, so I grabbed that too. Walked up to the check-out clerk, who was of legal age but seemed young enough to be my offspring. He carded me (I was mid-40s at the time). I started laughing at him. I said: if I were trying to buy alcohol illegally, would I really be standing here with a tiny bottle of kirschwasser – which basically has no use other than in fondue – and an $80+ bottle of single malt? The manager came over as I was saying that and started laughing with me. The clerk looked so confused.

I think of that moment EVERY SINGLE TIME I make fondue.

10 Likes

It’s not that dire, I do eat more than toast and do cook a fair bit, just nothing like what I used to before the infant came along. We also have more time to get her like a variety of food. She was more than 2 months early so all of her developmental stuff goes off her corrected age, which is about 5.5 months. She’s just starting to have solid meals, but so far she likes berries, mango, watermelon, pumpkin, carrot, beetroot, yoghurt, apple, banana and pear.

2 Likes

Oh man, I love Homboldt Fog. I can eat way more than I should in one sitting.

Cypress Grove is definitely my favorite American chèvre producer. The truffle tremor is also quite good.

Haystack Mountain Is a local favorite for goat cheeses. (I still prefer CG.)

MouCo makes several good cow milk cheeses, with the soft ripened, washed rind Colo Rouge being exceptionally good. (Especially when ripened until runny.)

ETA: Oh, and in the fridge: Wensleydale, Somerdale, and Stilton. (I need to start shopping local again.)

6 Likes

dutch aged gouda with salt crystals or gtfo :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol…

oh and i love dashi…I typically add some fish sauce to mine.
chickpea miso, dashi, assortment of fresh veggies, shiitake, garlic, daikon, some shrimp, some bean thread noodles, and that is my feel good on a rainy day quick hot meal. that or a bone broth chicken noodle.

1 Like