Professor attempting to live underwater for 100 days and emerge "super-human"

giphy

16 Likes

And if he’s trying to determine whether any changes to his health are due specifically to the higher pressure, he would need to try and control for the many other confounding factors such as the lack of natural light, the lack of fresh air, the high humidity levels, a diet lacking fresh foods, the stress from social isolation and living in a confined 100 square foot room, etc. A real scientific experiment would make at least some attempt to control for that by having someone live under similar conditions at regular atmospheric pressure.

Edit to add:
Here’s an excerpt from an NPR story on the guy. Sounds like he’s got the natural light variable all worked out. /s

12 Likes

This is a great long article (I remember reading it when it came out) but your story reminded me about this stuff:

11 Likes

To be fair, I talk to dolphins all the time off the coast of Ensenada. Thing is, when they answer, it’s all just bleeps and squeaks and skittery chatter. I literally have NO idea what the heck they’re saying!

14 Likes

yeah, dolphins are jerks like that.

12 Likes

thanks flying GIF

15 Likes

Namor was always a (half-human) Atlantean, but the original origin story for Aquaman was that he was some regular kid raised by his explorer father underwater and, as a result, somehow developed a set of miraculous abilities (which then expanded when his origin was retconned later, and he was turned into a full-blown Namor rip-off).

8 Likes

Probably something like:

Hey, look at this rube. We can call him an asshole and he’ll still give us fish.

7 Likes

18 Likes

This is the same question I have. Presumably if the dwelling is pressurized to normal atmospheric pressures then there wouldn’t be any pressure related effects from his stay. This makes me think it must not be pressurized.

3 Likes

It seems to be an “open bottom” design, so it must be pressured to more than 1 atm to keep the water out.
Slightly over 2 atm at a depth of 10m? Paging @DiveGirl

Links to the bit about the La Chalupa research laboratory:

https://jul.com

4 Likes

Huh? In my memory (admittedly, I only read Marvel Comics except for The Flash), Arthur Curry was a scientist that invented chewing gum that allowed him to breathe underwater. Trying to duplicate this caused me to ruin a lot of gum in the backyard wading pool. Where did I get that from?

4 Likes

The guy sounds like a nutter, but there appears to be established science about sustainable pressure environments in the original lab setup. Underwater Habitats - History Of Diving Museum

The hotel/habitat web Page gives no hard data, and looks like it was created 20 years ago. It gives off all sorts of funky vibes, so I’d want to see a whollllle lot more data before I moved in there!

6 Likes

Wrinkly, pruney fingers doesn’t seem like the most useful super power, but I might not be seeing the full potential here.

4 Likes

thanks for bringing the History of Diving Museum into the discussion. that place is all kinds of awesome!
and yes, the habitat/structure this dude is spending his days in is an open-bottom, pressurized capsule at nearly 2 bar (10m), so yes, he is under that additional pressure. any excursions on scuba into the water is at 10m. any deeper, he will have to decomp slightly before re-entering the pod (depending on duration and depth, of course). i suppose it is a mild sort of saturation diving, given the length of time down and the (relatively) shallow depth. he will probably spend some time decompressing before surfacing.
i am still fascinated and wish him all the best, even if the science is shaky at best.

5 Likes

A lot of powers!

7 Likes

yes, so technically humans have spent more than 100 days “underwater”, but as has been said above, submarines do so pressurized to 1 atmo (1bar - 14.7psi). this guy will semi-saturate at almost 2bar for 100 days. i can’t speak to the further validity of the claim, but will continue to support his effort.

4 Likes

Aw, Splasher seemed nice! :thinking: Ok, scientists…where is my oxy-gum? That’s the only way I’m gonna live underwater.

7 Likes
4 Likes

#NotAllBiomedicalEngineers

5 Likes