Professor attempting to live underwater for 100 days and emerge "super-human"

What I was thinking. People that spend weeks and months in a tiny capsule 700 feet underwater.

This guy is a dilettante.

8 Likes

It’s…possible…that “dysbaric osteonecrosis” was off-message for this particular exercise. I’d totally listen to that band, of course.

This would also not be the first time that something blue collar workers do by necessity has been ‘discovered’ by someone in either white collar or hipster-tier service sector work who can dabble in a bit of it on a discretionary basis.

10 Likes

I’m not a naval architect; but everything I’ve read about submarines says that they are usually designed to keep interior pressure relatively constant and close to 1 atmosphere to avoid effects on the crew or being forced to limit their diving and submerging to rates that would be safe for the crew compressing and decompressing. The relatively massive pressure hulls are a downside.

22 Likes

My first thought was this is Mariner’s origin story from Waterworld. Which makes it dumb.

2 Likes

“The human body has never been underwater that long”

I guess we’re not counting submarine service people anymore?

11 Likes

I know that he’s not going especially deep, but still, what a weird “null hypothesis” considering that we know that deep diving can really mess you up over the long term.

17 Likes
10 Likes

Also: you are null hypothesizing wrong

10 Likes

Dituri is advancing conclusions found in a study, where cells exposed to increased pressure doubled within five days

Isn’t that called “cancer”?

null hypothesis

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

20 Likes

Nobody calls him Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. Everyone calls him the Dude.

10 Likes

Hey I saw how this went down in The Spy Who Loved Me.

6 Likes

Submarines, regardless of operating depth, are generally pressurized to 1 atmosphere, relying on the hull to hold the force of the water pressure. I’m sure there are lots of reasons, but one is that it would subject the occupants to decompression sickness if they had to surface quickly.

So the physiological effects of high pressure environment would not be present in a sub, although the psychological effects are probably considerably more significant.

13 Likes

I hope he doesn’t take a copy of Sphere with him. The book, not the movie. The movie was bad.

9 Likes

"The human body has never been underwater that long

I assumed they had some of those Sea Lab things in the 50s and 60s that would have lasted longer.

Anyway - it will be interesting, but i don’t think there will be a huge difference after 100 days.

2 Likes

Also, while I am no biologist, if I had to take a guess I’d say that breathing ordinary air at double the oxygen partial pressure vs sea level is going to increase oxidative stress and is at least as likely to have a long term negative effect as anything positive.

9 Likes

Or this guy (I read Marvel comics when I was a kid) -

12 Likes

Funny story I was hanging out with some scuba instructors in Thailand decades ago and that additional oxidative stress from the high pressure O2 was exactly what they worried about to each other - while chain smoking cigarettes

17 Likes

Yeah, I read that and slapped my head. If he doesn’t even understand what a null hypothesis is, what kind of experiment is he really running? Let alone the fact he’s running the experiment on himself instead of a proper test with multiple subjects and control groups. Just smacks of bad 70’s woo science, the kind of thing Time Life would have told us we need to “read the book!” to understand.

15 Likes

So, this is a room that’s underwater - an air filled room, right? He’s not actually going to be in the water for the 100 days, just under it, right? Is the room’s pressure equalized to the atmosphere, or will he be under pressure the whole time? The project sounds pretty interesting, and not nearly as wacky as the headline made me think.

7 Likes

Fixed.

1 Like