Professor Stewart's Incredible Numbers is a delightful book of recreational math

[Read the post]

2 Likes

I keep citing the four-colour map theorem as proof that it’s possible to set up a hotel WiFi network so that, when I’m in my room, I don’t see fourteen identical hotel SSIDs, all at the exact same strength, all sitting at the Channel 1-3 range, so I can’t get any reliable nor usable connection whatsoever.

4 Likes

I love Mr. Stewart, don’t get me wrong, I own 4 of his books, but why isn’t anyone remembering Rudy Rucker’s fantastic books like ‘Infinity and the Mind’ etc.? Personally, I am not into science fiction, but his books on science fact and speculations/imaginations blow my mind! …and then, we have Max Tegmark taking it to a whole new level…

2 Likes

My wife gave me Prof. Stewart’s “Mathematical Curiosities” book as a gift recently, equally highly recommended! Some good stuff to challenge your kids with in there too.

Huh. I’ll have to check out those two. In the meantime, I lazily dredged up this Tegmark quote:

“In 50 years, you may be able to buy T-shirts on which are printed equations describing the unified laws of our universes.”

Stewart and Jack Cohen (biologist and fellow Brit) had quite a bit to say about that in their two co-authored books on emergent complexity, The Collapse of Chaos and Figments of Reality. The latter is a bit more philosophical, but both are fantastic reads.

2 Likes

One of the aspects of math which I’ve unfortunately missed learning about in school is the so called

What’s the best way to start appreciate this pervasive sense of interconnectedness between seemingly unrelated branches of mathematics?

[quote=“jerwin, post:6, topic:72595, full:true”]
What’s the best way to start appreciate this pervasive sense of interconnectedness between seemingly unrelated branches of mathematics?[/quote]
If you have a free afternoon, you could do worse than have a look at The Education of T.C. Mits by Lillian R.and Hugh Gray Lieber.

http://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF267-Loring’s_First_Principle.png

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.