Profile of Minecraft creator's life as a billionaire: "a dog chasing cars"

He should go back to his roots (Wurm) and work for Rolf anonymously.

1 Like

Depends on whether you want an experience or a gold star :slight_smile:

How many of the people saying itā€™s a shame have a genuinely meaningful job that makes a difference? How is doing a pointless job so you have enough money to live on somehow more noble than creating something wildly popular, getting rich and then doing nothing?

Iā€™m always amazed there are people who win the lottery and yet carry on working at the same crappy admin job theyā€™ve done for the last twenty years. Other than sheer Pavlovian response, why would anyone do that?

5 Likes

Steering clear of hedonistic adaptation can be tough. It is certainly one strategy.

I know people who have made very, very, very big piles of money. My sense of them is, by and large, they remain who they were before, if slightly exaggerated versions of who they were. If they were generous, they become more so. If they were miserly, then more of that. If they were turdbuckets, they up themselves to the 5 gallon version. If they liked to drink, they drink better stuff.

From the article, this guy had a tough, isolating childhood ā€“ quiet to begin with, but with many of the same issues any kid with an alcoholic father might have ā€“ abandonment, distrust, and all the rest. So what you get is a guy who has these issues and now they play out on a scale 10,000 to 100,000x larger than the average European or American. What else should we expect?

I hope he finds his way.

3 Likes

A wild-arse guess: if you make $35K or $50K at some admin job and all of a sudden youā€™ve got $5MM in the bank, you probably have a better mental and emotional defense against people asking for hand outs if you keep doing what you were doing beforeā€¦

I think the observations in this article serve as an explanation as to why that band that created that breakout album that you enjoyed so much also produced a subsequent release that sucks out loud.

With the ample fame and money and poontang that comes with success there is also apathy. Success will steal your fire.

All things contain the seed of their destruction.

1 Like

What a great argument for not letting people get too rich and ensuring meaningful work for all!

< singing > My little pony, communist pony

2 Likes

I lack photoshop skills, but imagine an MLP with a Hammer and Sickle cutie ā€“ I mean Comrade ā€“ mark.

2 Likes

Well, if you donā€™t allow people to get ā€œtoo richā€ ( whatever that is ) then you stifle motive. In which case, if you will allow me to continue the metaphor, there will be no great albums.

There should be no external limitations. The successful often limit themselves.

1 Like
2 Likes

Can ā€” not will.

Cf. Elon Musk.

2 Likes

Because you like your co-workers and find your work, however modest, meaningful?

Iā€™d probably stay in my job for a year or so after winning a big lottery jackpot, if only to figure out what I really want to do from a familiar mental place.

2 Likes

Becoming a patron of people whose work you like and of causes you approve of would be part of my lottery-winner plan.

I mean, heck, if I had an extra $100 a month, Iā€™d consider spending that much on Patreon and worth Kickstarters.

1 Like

Comrade, you already placed the goalpost. Hasā€™t thou too much wodka? Here it tis agā€™in

Let me re-frame: without exorbitant fame and money, people create escapism.

With excessive fortune, tis easier to buy escapism than make it.

I actually do a bunch of that. Itā€™s my belief that when I write my book (working on it) that all these little payments and supports of my artsy friends will karma back around to me. I also support my friends who make jewelry and art by buying their stuff for xmas gifts, etc. Thatā€™s my marketing plan and Iā€™m sticking to it.

2 Likes

Whatever heroic quantity of vodka I have imbibed is irrelevant. Cast thine judgement where it may find fruit.

Aye, and the purchased escape is easier to further acquire than continued success.

1 Like

I doubt it. Art produced by people whose goal is to get rich isnā€™t as good as art produced by people to express a feeling.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a pretty big assumption there. Genuinely meaningful jobs donā€™t often result in getting rich- in fact, much of the time they donā€™t result in enough money to live off of.

1 Like

If you follow his Twitter, Notch seems like a pretty chill guy and very much the same as before the big cash payoff. Earlier today he mentioned the article was kind of off and just looking to sell copies. Also, to someone else he tweeted ā€œI donā€™t want to have limitless potential, I just wanna play board games, listen to music, and tinker with code.ā€

Well, now he can afford to do that, throw some fun parties AND not worry about running out of money.

2 Likes