Raph Koster's next game: the evolution of sandbox play

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/08/raph-kosters-next-game-the.html

6 Likes

I just watched a video this morning from someone who regularly covers MMO news, and he got to talking about this, and made the comment that he had no idea who Raph Koster was, and had to Google it.

It made me very sad. :disappointed:

1 Like

This sounds very interesting. I hope it will allow solo play.

2 Likes

Did anything ever come of Metaplace*? I messed about with it in its early beta trying to make a Dig Dug clone on it, which I didn’t manage (but I did make a highly ropey Sopwith clone)

*beyond scooping up those Disney bucks, I mean

1 Like

I think Roblox already ate that cake…

1 Like

So, basically he’s making a new Second Life, but with a bit more “game” in it?

Personally, I like the flexibility and lack of railroad tracks in sandbox play, but I am not a fan of MMPs, because Hell IS other people.

2 Likes

I was watching one live stream where Raph Koster was being interviewed by some UO private shard folks and it was fun. Especially when he explained things like how crafting basically works in UO (no static recipes). It’s amazing to me that no one else has tapped him since SWG to do more work on that end of MMO development.

1 Like

Sounds a bit like OASIS or the Metaverse.

1 Like

Maybe you remember SWG differently than I do.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.