Profile of Peter Thiel's "junk science" journal from someone asked to write for it

No, no, no. They are giant pyramids in Fucking Space (well, actually hyper pyramids, Fucking Space is infinite dimensional).

7 Likes

But he bought NZ citizenship (breaking all the rules in the process) and a giant fucking estate on the South Island just as a hedge.

3 Likes

oh man please make NOM a real thing, it’s too good

3 Likes

I love a lot of what Chomsky has to say and his vast and humanistic view of political history. For instance, it’s a great pleasure to watch his old debate with William F. Buckley. However, he is so well-regarded by his political adherents that they hardly question when rambles on about topics he is surely not expert in… I know he’'s linguist and his main jam is universal grammar… but this does not make him an evolutionary biologist by any means.

I remember in one talk he mentions that Cartesian Dualism is “solved” because we all know now that the fundamental forces in the universe are immaterial… Well, someone should get on the phone and let all of philosophy and quantum physics know their work is done!

I was hoping to find out that him publishing in this journal was akin to the time that he published an article in Hustler… Crazy old Noam at it again!

9 Likes

“On Postmodernism as an intellectual villain”

Sort of like how Jordaddy paints it?

2 Likes

I’ve sort of noticed that about Chomsky. As influential as he’s been. And as much respect as he gets. A lot of his reputation is based on his political and philisophical work. A lot of his broader linguistics ideas aren’t necessarily holding up, and many of his scientific claims outside of his field don’t seem to have much credibility.

It’s sort of like a Howard Zinn situation. His work doesn’t seem to be regarded as accurate by most historians. But they do consider his approach to be important, and his influence in altering how history is looked at, sourced, and interpreted is considered fairly central to how the field operates these days. With his following mostly being based on politics and in the popular sphere.

Chomsky’s base work seems to be a lot more current and credible than that. But particularly when it comes to his whole human exceptionalism, and language being biologically pre determined thing. It makes it fairly easy to massage his work to fit whatever you’d like, or use him to provide credibility to bullshit.

6 Likes

How about “inventor of email” Shiva Ayyadurai? Thiel funded his junksuit, and:

Ayyadurai presented a press release on his webpage asserting that his undergraduate professor Noam Chomsky of MIT’s Department of Linguistics and Philosophy also supported his claims.[8][17]

6 Likes

Neat. Did you make that image yourself? I’m impressed. PCI audio cards are indeed a rather dreadful rabbit hole.

He has that blood-thing going on.

It would be tempting to suggest that this is a front to boost things like that new startup, but that would be quite the convoluted little con.

3 Likes

Not me.

7 Likes

I still think Theil inspired the first Bioshock game.

2 Likes

They are all those things and more.

1 Like

Giant Fucking Neoreactionary Libertarian Doomsday Prepper Estates!

3 Likes

I know Édouard Brézin (he was one of my professors) and he is an eminently respectable scientist. As Becker says, it’s the commingling of junk with actual science that is dangerous. I emailed him to let him know about this article.

4 Likes

If these people want big chunks of cheap land, I am surprised they don’t go to Australia.

1 Like

Peter Thiel is an anagram of 'The IT Leper".

(It’s all I can come up with. Fuck him.)

3 Likes

But we know how Australia will turn out post-Apocalypse thanks to George Miller’s insightful predictions. As cool as flamethrower guitars are, New Zealand looks safer; if any dangerous tasks are needed the Hobbits can do them.

1 Like

I do not remember the character of “Fucking Space Princess” from Adventure Time.

…and there was me thinking only James Cameron ripped off Roger Dean’s artwork…

Shame on you, Rob, shame! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Hey, did you just scoop @pesco’s research, Dr. Beschizza?

1 Like

Crazy. Not dumb.