Project Farm tests kitchen knives

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/16/project-farm-tests-kitchen-knives.html

4 Likes

X-All-The-Y_phixr

21 Likes

Scared Kermit The Frog GIF

19 Likes

17 minutes of that voice though… :grimacing:

10 Likes

This video reminds me that youtube is a compromise. It probably would work better as nicely formatted technical report with multiple embedded videos.

5 Likes

Very impressive!

5 Likes

I have a nearly identical set of Henckels, but with a slightly different handle and a different assortment (paring, 5” serrated straight, 8” carving, 8” chef, scissors, honing steel). I was originally a little disappointed that the handle wasn’t the exact style I wanted (they were a gift so I didn’t express any disappointment), but once I used them that immediately went away. I was afraid that the drop on the end of the handle would give less control, but it actually improves control by conforming to my hand shape better and allowing more leverage and maneuverability. They don’t seem to sell the same exact style anymore, but I have had them for over 17 years and they have been exemplary. I must have prepared hundreds of thousands of meals with this paring knife and, although I never, ever would put it in a dishwasher or even a drying rack, it has rarely needed to be sharpened and feels nearly new with just a few strokes along the steel. I absolutely adore this perfect little knife. I thought about switching to the Global a few years ago, but those handles just look incredibly useless to me. I’ve decided that any future knife buys are going to be high-end single blades that I select based on recommendations. Still haven’t found the one yet, so Henckels is still the master of the kitchen here.

I am also a firm believer in keeping a POS knife that can be abused forever and still be reliable. This thing is duller than a butter knife and doesn’t even bother to carry a name, but I’ve actually had it longer than my Henckels. It’s great for general jabbing, stabbing (including deep into the palm of my hand once) and breaking up chunks, even with the bent tip.

8 Likes

00__X-All-The-Y__RAW_phixr

20 Likes

Instead of buying a knife set, you should get the few individual knives you really need: a chef’s knife, a bread knife and a small paring knife.

Many chefs prefer inexpensive Victorinox (Forschner) Fibrox knives. They are stamped, not forged, but very lightweight and sharpen well.

If there’s anything this review shows, it’s that most knives are not properly sharpened at the factory and knife sharpening skills are valuable to acquire.

13 Likes

21 Likes

Have you any techniques you can recommend?

13 Likes

Look Steampunk GIF by The Brass Harpies

16 Likes

Run Away GIF

16 Likes

I took a class (a couple of hours) on using Japanese water stones at Bernal Cutlery in San Francisco but I wouldn’t bother for a knife costing under $100. That’s the great thing about the Victorinoxes, at $30 you don’t feel like you need to baby them and I just use a Chef’s Choice Trizor XV electric sharpener, much less work.

6 Likes

Snl Bag GIF by Saturday Night Live

12 Likes

I use a bit of salt and wipe it with a rag. Steel wool if it needs a bit of work.

1 Like

I think he’s great. He’s got that, “… and that’s not all!” voice down pat!

3 Likes

I’m a big believer in one really nice chef knife for the price of one of these big blocks of cheap knives.

I’m a home cook who has cooked nearly every day for over 20 years, from simple meals to very elaborate meals. You almost certainly don’t need a boning knife. You almost certainly don’t need a carving knife alongside your chef’s knife. You can get along fine without a cheapo santoku knife or a utility knife. The bread knife is the only other useful knife that comes with these.

And am I the only one who doesn’t like the chunky handled steak knives that come with these? Get basic serrated steak knives that actually go with your forks. Or classic wooden handled ones.

Now that I’m middle aged, my collection has expanded a little, but not much. I have a very nice (but not ridiculously pricy) Shun chef’s knife. I have a cheaper Wustoff for when two of us are chopping at the same time. One smaller knife for the kids, a bread knife, and two nice paring knives. (Yeah, maybe it’s starting to get to “knife block” levels, but the difference is that this was slowly collected, and mindfully done so, and not some cheaply-made junk containing things most cooks don’t need like boning knives.)

6 Likes

Yes, this is the way.

It can be if only because it is both the most effective and easiest sharpening method around. Once you get the rhythm and stroke down it doesn’t really require much of the user. The way my dad taught me was a pita and really prone to ruining the edge easily. Even a sub-$100 knife can get razor sharp, even if the edge only lasts for a few uses due to weak steel.

1 Like

I tried Japanese wetstones for a while, and while I could get a really nice edge, it was a whole process and I did it rarely.

I got a Spyderco tri-angle sharpening system a couple years ago, and I really like it. I can sharpen all my knives, from chef to little pocket knife. After the first edge repairing, which took a little longer, I now typically spend only a couple minutes every few weeks retaining a sharp edge.

3 Likes