Project Mushroom, a "complete social community ecosystem", among emerging alternatives to Twitter

Yah, as soon as I heard “what server should I join” is a required question, I knew I was never getting a Mastadon account. I’ve retired from all social media and it’ll take quite a bit to get me back at this point. The barrier to entry needs to be a lot lower than deciphering peer-to-peer server networks to figure out where communities I would like are.

5 Likes

I totally understand that barriere. Simon W describes Mastodon as “just blogs” and I think that analogy works pretty well. You want to start a WordPress blog? First thing you have to do is find a hosting provider. It’s the same for Masto.

4 Likes

if you enjoy firehoses:

enjoy watchung the federated feed of 1 million new herd members tooting at once. federated view on .online and .social is only available during low server activity, so you may need to be on a smaller instance to get the federated view all day.

3 Likes

“Wait, what…?” as comments in multiple languages flash past like the view from the train window.

5 Likes

I think it’s the end of the second attempt to turn the Internet into cable TV. We’re already seeing many streaming services, social media sites, and many other one-size-fits-most platforms become irrelevant or just fail. Even cloud computing and storage is taking a hit from them as companies realize that some resources should be locally maintained/managed rather than being held for ransom by providers and geopolitical upheavals. It won’t be like the 'Net of the 90s but I suspect it’ll be a less centralized, less able to monetize kind of Internet.

I think they’re on the money. The way I’m beginning to use Mastodon is to look for new content which is often hosted on a blog somewhere else. It’s honestly a better way of doing things imo.

4 Likes

YES! That’s the one.

2 Likes

Seems that Mycelium would be a more apt name for a social network.

3 Likes

time for the old classic

2 Likes

It probably caters to scum. :smiley:

3 Likes

Ok, maybe John Updike was wrong about that. :wink:

2 Likes

Not that I know of; The one that dreamwidth drafted is probably a good starting point, but then, I have a seed account there, so I may be biased.

1 Like

Here’s a note re that (comments links going back to blog post, not BBS)

And @MrShiv

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.