Projection-mapped light-show on the Sydney Opera House

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/03/jonathan-zawada.html

4 Likes

Projection mapping got so good so fast, it’s a little nuts. Like one day projectors were pretty dinky, and then BAM, suddenly super-complex projection mapping arrived, and now we can map video onto buildings way better than in the original Blade Runner.

My first exposure was at Montreal’s Mutek festival for Amon Tobin’s performance. I think he was one of the first musicians to incorporate the tech into his shows. Oh my god, that was mind blowing!

My understanding is that daylight-capable laser projectors are making strides, so this kind of thing might expand quickly over the next few years. Then we’ll really be in cyberpunk territory, and who doesn’t like slipping into a technological environmental collapse dystopia so long as it’s accompanied by nifty light shows!

4 Likes

2 Likes

I was there right at the kickoff this year. The detail in the projections was amazing. The local birds were freaked out and headed for the hills.

1 Like

Barges? Well, I can’t say I’m certain, but I’m pretty sure there are just projectors set up on the west side of Circular Quay, mostly next to the Overseas Passenger Terminal (CQ is actually very rectangular). Not sure how you’d keep barges stable enough.

That’s quite the climax.

Oof. They built this and finished the expansion of the Nelson-Atkins just after I left Kansas City. I really miss that town sometimes…

1 Like

With my luck I’d travel all the way to Sydney (from USA) and the opera house will be lit up the whole time with nothing but a bright, brilliant, blue and white, “ERROR CODE 404” :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, that would be very unlikely.

Much more likely?

1 Like

This is the way I’d love to see Daddy Fat Sacks and Three Stacks riding in a Cadillac all added to stone mountain, at least as a first draft.

KC is killing it right now!

1 Like

Just ran across this awesome light mapping tool:

Has potential.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.